• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Super" foods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Super" foods

I'm certainly no health freak, but am starting to look into more healthy stuff I should be scoffing/imbibing now and again to help the old body out in my prime "human capital" years, any pointers from those a bit more in the know?

Bits I make an effort to do now:

Porridge
    Tomatoes (love them anyway so generally have a punnet of cherry ones always within a 3m radius)
    Olive Oil (neat, mixed with tomato juice and tobasco sauce)
    Pistachios (only nuts I get on with)
    5 min stewed tea

Any 'easy wins' I'm missing? Be particularly interested if it can be all blended into a smoothie and stored in the fridge for having through the week.

Anyone read that James Wong book "How to Eat Better" that looked quite interesting as it doesn't just go on about what to eat, more about how as well which makes a big difference apparently.
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    I'm certainly no health freak, but am starting to look into more healthy stuff I should be scoffing/imbibing now and again to help the old body out in my prime "human capital" years, any pointers from those a bit more in the know?

Bits I make an effort to do now:

Porridge
    Tomatoes (love them anyway so generally have a punnet of cherry ones always within a 3m radius)
    Olive Oil (neat, mixed with tomato juice and tobasco sauce)
    Pistachios (only nuts I get on with)
    5 min stewed tea

Any 'easy wins' I'm missing? Be particularly interested if it can be all blended into a smoothie and stored in the fridge for having through the week.

Anyone read that James Wong book "How to Eat Better" that looked quite interesting as it doesn't just go on about what to eat, more about how as well which makes a big difference apparently.
    Nothing wrong broadly with what you're eating (olive oil thing doesn't sound right) but there's no such thing as a superfood (although if you're a Brexiteer, please do ignore expert advice and refer instead to: Health - Latest News, Articles and Information | Daily Mail Online )

Eat sensibly from a varied diet. Avoid junk. Do some exercise. Watch your weight. Don't drink too much. Don't smoke. That's probably most of it.

Ignore anyone who calls themselves a nutritionist (dietitian is the 'real' professional).

That's most of it.

Comment

So called "super foods" aren't going to compensate for an unhealthy lifestyle.

Ignore labels - Eat a balanced diet, with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (super or otherwise), cut down on the refined carbs (Haribo and Dunkin' Donuts) and get a bit of exercise.

Comment

Watch out for salt on those pistachios unless they are plain.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Haven't read this myself but it has a good reputation.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1941393063/?tag=slatmaga-20

Comment

I hear bananas are good for you

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              I hear bananas are good for you

Indeed.

The first superfood: Doctors believed bananas could cure celiac disease.

Comment

Drink peppermint tea - helps defend against them free radicles.

Cut down on red meat. And if you already do cut back some more.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Unprocessed food, variety in diet, eat locally and eat seasonally.

Better for you, better for the environment, better for Britain!
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Drink peppermint tea - helps defend against them free radicles.
                    What is the evidence base for that?

Comment

Working...
                    X