• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Super" foods

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Unlike me who'll order a beefburger meal and a side salad.

What are the best things to shove in a salad? Any exotic stuff like kale, spinach or just the usual suspects?
    Just because stuff is exotic doesn't make it better for you than every day stuff. It's also much less likely to be grown locally and therefore fresh. Although I wouldn't class kale and spinach as exotic - are you from up north?

When salading, I aim for as much of a rainbow as clientCo's salad bar will permit -

so Tomatoes, grated carrot, sweetcorn, lettuce/cucumber/watercress/spinach and beetroot. Chuck on a handful of sunflower hearts for good measure. ( I pair said salad with a jacket potato laden with butter and cheese )

Comment

Food, I love food...

Bacalhau com natas
      Leitão da Bairrada
      Cozido à Portuguesa
      Polvo à Lagareiro
      Bacalhau à Lagareiro
      Espetada à Madeirence
      Atum à Madeirence
      Peixe de Espada Preto frito ou grelhado com pimentos e cebola.
      Sardinhas
      Ameijoas à Bolhão Pato
      with a glass of red or white wine

Oh Jesus...

Comment

WGAS
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Now THESE are superfoods....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            But I think that study is flawed - because the key thing is going to bed/sleep on a full/empty stomach.

If they repeated the same test but those who ate between midday and 11 went to sleep at say 3am (so approx 4 hours after the last meal) then would there have been a difference?

I was always under the probably misguided impression that eating late at night was bad because your body was slowing down and did not digest it because you were not active enough.

And when you think about it there must be some truth in this because 'time' is a man made construct.
            OK I'll rephrase it for you. Don't eat loads in the three hours just before you goto sleep.
            "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
            Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
              So if I buy a bag of humble carrots from say Aldi, is it covered in this synthetic tulipe? What about local greengrocer? i.e. where's the cut off point?
              If the carrots are whole, with skin on and in a bag, they are likely just fine. You'll notice some different between variety of carrots. Different varieties taste slightly different; much like the difference in taste between variety of strawberry.

Pre-prepared trimmed fruit/veg, de-skinned, cut, bagged, almost always have some form of preservative to keep them from decomposing within a few hours. Removing air isn't enough, so they use gasses and complex synthetic starches to keep it looking fresh. If you've had this type of semi-ready fruit/veg before, you'll have noticed that it tastes pretty weird and as an unusual texture.

Edit: to add - the ONLY reason these preservatives and weird synthetic starches are added is to benefit the company, not you. Rather than prepare fresh food to take away, companies would save money and make more profit by using weird artificial chemicals to make something last longer, thus optimising logistics and bulk moving items. That's how supermarkets work.

Don't use supermarkets where possible.
              Last edited by contractorinatractor; 4 August 2017, 17:50.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                This is all you need.

If vegans can eat only this and still look relatively healthy it has to be a superfood.
                This look like worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  This look like worms.
                  Designed to be sold to masons...

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                    This look like worms.
                    You should try them.

They are actually crunchy snacks that the British stole from the Indians.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
                      Smoothies can only count for 1 of your 5 a day regardless of the content as blending fruit & veg affects the nutritional value, and actually releases more sugars than would be present if not blended.
                      Are you sure you mean blending, which keeps the whole fruit/ vegetable (including fibre etc.), and not juicing, which removes all the solids and does indeed create a very high sugar/ very high Glycemic /index drink?

Comment

Working...
                      X