• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stick or twist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick or twist?

Been at current gig for just over 2 years. Built a system that has become pretty fundamental to how things work and my boss has just approached me and discussed some new features which could take me into April next year. I am on a great rate, can WFH and the commute is liveable.

Yes, I know first world problems.

My issue is that I have not grown as a developer for over a year. Not learnt anything remotely new, everything I have done is using tech I that is well within my skillset and arguably quite old. This new piece of work is the same. I am worried that when I do finish this gig I will have a hard/ harder time finding new work.

Explaining away a 3 + year gig using 10 year old tech is going to be a tough sell I feel. I am tempted to jump ship in a attempt to remain more relevant to the market.

I imagine a few of you have been in similar situations and I am looking for advice. What did you do and how did it work out for you?

Serious reply’s only please, this is not my first rodeo don’t need to be told YANCOTBAC or have this turn into a IR35 discussion 

I'd milk the current gig for as long as possible.

Why not pitch some funky new concepts / processes / techniques to your boss?
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Learn some new tech at home and make it a fundamental aspect of a new part the system - sorted.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You are a trusted supplier, you can pitch improvements using new technologies.

We did similar writing new tools to solve issues, you just need to demonstrate a problem that is better solved using newer technology. Also if the system is 10 years old you should be looking to rewrite it in newer tech to protect its intrinsic value. One day they will retire version X.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
          Explaining away a 3 + year gig using 10 year old tech is going to be a tough sell I feel. I am tempted to jump ship in a attempt to remain more relevant to the market.
          Can you not say to your boss "There's this <new tech> would be great for this project because of xyz" and get them basically train you in it. If the answer is No, then you have 3 options as I see it.

1) Status quo.
          2) Jump ship and learn new tech.
          3) A hybrid of the above two. That is, carry on carrying on whilst you learn <new tech> off your own bat, either at home or during quiet periods at work. Then, and this is the kicker, you update your CV to include this <new tech>, which may or may not have been a project on your last gig.
          Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
          "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

My issue is that I have not grown as a developer for over a year. Not learnt anything remotely new, everything I have done is using tech I that is well within my skillset and arguably quite old.
            Well that's what they've paid you for. Updating your skill set is your responsibility ultimately so you've got a choice to make. Get out of your comfort zone and go find a gig that is going to expose you to new skills or sit there happily bringing the money in watching the world go by.

2 years is plenty in a single gig. You say forget the IR35 issue but with that length of time, your 'boss', and being asked to do other stuff I'd say it's a big concern and should arguably be part of your decision. I'd say it's time to get out of your comfort zone personally. Gigs come and go. I don't think falling in love with a gig is enough to put your potential as a contractor at risk.

Your call. You can't have it both ways... well not all the time and not in this case.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Twist
              one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
                Been at current gig for just over 2 years. Built a system that has become pretty fundamental to how things work and my boss has just approached me and discussed some new features which could take me into April next year. I am on a great rate, can WFH and the commute is liveable.

Yes, I know first world problems.

My issue is that I have not grown as a developer for over a year. Not learnt anything remotely new, everything I have done is using tech I that is well within my skillset and arguably quite old. This new piece of work is the same. I am worried that when I do finish this gig I will have a hard/ harder time finding new work.

I imagine a few of you have been in similar situations and I am looking for advice. What did you do and how did it work out for you?

Serious reply’s only please, this is not my first rodeo don’t need to be told YANCOTBAC or have this turn into a IR35 discussion 
                Up your rate?

Comment

Working...
                X