• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to commit career suicide - moan about diversity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Depends where you work.

High heels can be a safety hazard.
    Understood, but the riggers boots don't go too well with the dress.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Understood, but the riggers boots don't go too well with the dress.
      That depends on your perspective.

I wore 14 hole Dockers with a full petticoat dress only a few weeks ago...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        That depends on your perspective.

I wore 14 hole Dockers with a full petticoat dress only a few weeks ago...
        You trendy little tinker cjk. We need to see the proof of that
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Indeed.

I work for a company who embrace diversity.

In general it is fine but at times you end up with tokenism - which ultimately damages the company as you are not recruiting the best people you are recruiting the people to fill up your 'quota'

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Indeed.

I work for a company who embrace diversity.

In general it is fine but at times you end up with tokenism - which ultimately damages the company as you are not recruiting the best people you are recruiting the people to fill up your 'quota'
            Well that's just stupid

If you cannot hire someone then leave the role unfilled.

Personally most companies I've been in the issues have been with young white middle class males. And I'm not saying other groups haven't caused problems.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Well that's just stupid

If you cannot hire someone then leave the role unfilled.

Personally most companies I've been in the issues have been with young white middle class males. And I'm not saying other groups haven't caused problems.
              Indeed - the right person for the job is the right person for the job - their colour/creed/sex etc should not even come into it.

But thats the problem with positive discrimination.

Comment

Indeed - the right person for the job is the right person for the job - their colour/creed/sex etc should not even come into it.

Nope actually that's not the problem with positive discrimination. The problem is when people they specifically choose don't fulfill the other criteria so can't do the job.

I actually know of an illegal case of positive discrimination years ago. A male teacher was deliberately choose over all the female applicants for a teaching role. The reason he was chosen was to improve the gender balance of the school and the fact there were many children specifically boys without a male role model in their lives.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

A riposte from somebody who's recently left a fairly senior position at Google: https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/so...o-1e3773ed1788

(1) Despite speaking very authoritatively, the author does not appear to understand gender.

(2) Perhaps more interestingly, the author does not appear to understand engineering.

(3) And most seriously, the author does not appear to understand the consequences of what he wrote, either for others or himself.

Comment

or age...
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      A riposte from somebody who's recently left a fairly senior position at Google: https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/so...o-1e3773ed1788
                      Seeing as I can apparently define my own gender label on a daily basis - what is gender?

And who is anyone to say who 'understands' it.

Comment

Working...
                      X