• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU and trade agreements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent article from Mathew Parris

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/...-your-mistake/

It's now becoming clear as the "transitional deal" gains momentum that this will be a huge defeat for the Brexiteers as it will mean being a sh*tty member, so their only hope is to make a mess of the negotiations and crash out of the EU.

I reckon the chances of the government being brought down are increasing by the day.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

EU and trade agreements

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      So it won't be the hard brexit that has been promised.

What parts of EU policy do you think (not hope) we will end up leaving?
      I think hardbrexit is unlikely. A soft brexit seems deliverable within HM government and within the EU. Falling out onto WTO is possible, but I would imagine an emergency general election/UK referendum would be held before it/just after it.

I'm not sure what we will end up leaving, Norway opts into other things because it wants to. By I'm not sure what the UK wants, and I'm not sure there is even a unified cabinet position on this.
      Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 8 August 2017, 12:24.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        By I'm not sure what the UK wants, and I'm not sure there is even a unified cabinet position on this.
        This is a big part of the problem, and means the negotiations might not be effective, particularly if the EU side knows that the UK is unsure what it wants and the cabinet aren't agreed either (And I strongly suspect that if the EU didn't know before negotiations started, they will have realised it within a few minutes of it starting)
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Brexit SABOTAGE: Is Britain about to move in direction of Norway-style deal with EU?

now Brexiteers Liam Fox and Michael Gove are also thought to be on board with the watered down agreement as they buckle under the pressure from Remain-backing Tory MPs like Philip Hammond who have called for a Brexit transitional period.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

The trade agreement would be great for all of us and what about the other points?

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
              The trade agreement would be great for all of us and what about the other points?
              The import tax of sardines?
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
              X