• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self build houses & rennovations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self build houses & rennovations

Has anyone here tried it? I'm looking into the possibility, but It will be at least a couple years away as I'll have to save a substantial deposit. Interested in hearing some real life stories.

How much did it cost? what was the house worth when completed (and now)? How stressful was it? how much work did you take on yourself?

Also wondering if it's even possible for a contractor to get self build mortgage. we're already a niche customer to mortgage providers and self build is also a small market...

not done a self build but am completing a fairly extensive renovation

there are some really good self build forum's with really good boards on everything from Finance to materials and technology you could employ, you'll find them with a quick search

in terms of costs, it's always going to cost more than you think, even if you plan and cost it in fine detail, you'll upspec on fixture and fittings or things will hit you that you didn't foresee. if I knew the total cost beforehand then I wouldn't have started, but as long as any debt you accrue is serviceable then don't get put off too much

always shop around, open trade accounts with suppliers where you can, go to the trade shows you can normally get "show" prices for big ticket items, as well as get lots of ideas and advice

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
      Has anyone here tried it?
      Yep, still working on mine. Coming along nicely....

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
        Has anyone here tried it? I'm looking into the possibility, but It will be at least a couple years away as I'll have to save a substantial deposit. Interested in hearing some real life stories.

How much did it cost? what was the house worth when completed (and now)? How stressful was it? how much work did you take on yourself?

Also wondering if it's even possible for a contractor to get self build mortgage. we're already a niche customer to mortgage providers and self build is also a small market...
        We did a full renovation on a 1930's house - literally everything apart from the brick walls. No extension or anything, though we did knock the kitchen wall out to make a kitchen diner. It was never a money making idea, though - it was to make a family home to stay in for the foreseeable future.

Cost: Hard to say, as it depends on what you count. We took a 20k loan, and spent 5k we had saved. The rest came out of our regular money, and we also continued paying rent. So, honest total cost including the fact we had two houses - probably 30 - 40k. It wasn't quite "No expense spared", but it wasn't far off to be honest. I also used it as an excuse to buy a lot of tools.

Value: Purchased for £170k. Definitely worth £200k now, might push to £220k if we tidied up the garden and got it immaculate.

Stress: Fairly stressful, but I thrived on it. One of the most enjoyable things I've done. Extremely hard work and I had to learn a lot, but it was very much my cup of tea and won't be my last.

Work Done: We (I.e., me and anyone foolish to turn up) did the vast majority of the donkey work. Outsourced the knocking down of the wall and installation of the RSJ, had a plumber mate assist with the central heating (Though I did all the other plumbing), I did the wiring and had a sparky terminate and sign off. The bathroom and kitchen were professionally installed and I got a chippie in for all the finishing wood work and we had a plasterer do all the skimming.

I did all the demolition, removal, chasing walls, making good brickwork, repairing floors (Replaced the living room including joists), repairing joists, plumbing, planning, designing, plasterboarding, stud/studded out walls, hanging radiators etc and all the other things that didn't get covered above. Amazing how much work there is, to be honest!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          We did a full renovation on a 1930's house - literally everything apart from the brick walls. No extension or anything, though we did knock the kitchen wall out to make a kitchen diner. It was never a money making idea, though - it was to make a family home to stay in for the foreseeable future.

Cost: Hard to say, as it depends on what you count. We took a 20k loan, and spent 5k we had saved. The rest came out of our regular money, and we also continued paying rent. So, honest total cost including the fact we had two houses - probably 30 - 40k. It wasn't quite "No expense spared", but it wasn't far off to be honest. I also used it as an excuse to buy a lot of tools.

Value: Purchased for £170k. Definitely worth £200k now, might push to £220k if we tidied up the garden and got it immaculate.

Stress: Fairly stressful, but I thrived on it. One of the most enjoyable things I've done. Extremely hard work and I had to learn a lot, but it was very much my cup of tea and won't be my last.

Work Done: We (I.e., me and anyone foolish to turn up) did the vast majority of the donkey work. Outsourced the knocking down of the wall and installation of the RSJ, had a plumber mate assist with the central heating (Though I did all the other plumbing), I did the wiring and had a sparky terminate and sign off. The bathroom and kitchen were professionally installed and I got a chippie in for all the finishing wood work and we had a plasterer do all the skimming.

I did all the demolition, removal, chasing walls, making good brickwork, repairing floors (Replaced the living room including joists), repairing joists, plumbing, planning, designing, plasterboarding, stud/studded out walls, hanging radiators etc and all the other things that didn't get covered above. Amazing how much work there is, to be honest!
          It's location, location, and location. Did a similar proj, buying and renovation costs £65k, 20 years on it's £500k+
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Good on you. I grew up with a father who did that to several houses and it's very impressive.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
            X