• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any car-nuts here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The usual "experts" replying here after a quick Google, and the health and safety police wringing their hands...

Failed power steering does not make the car more dangerous, it just makes the steering heavier since the hydraulic rams which assist the underlying manual steering system wont work any more.

Do you think the manufacturers don't consider potential hydraulic failure when designing these items?

It's not uncommon in motorsport for power-steering racks from higher-spec'd models to be used on a rally car (road legal before anyone goes there) as generally they have a quicker steering action. The 205 GTi is a common example here.

I'd suggest you remove all the PAS components (bar the rack obviously) and just plug the rack where the pipes go.

You may need to change any shared drive belts for shorter versions from a non-PAS model.
    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Just fit a larger steering wheel, from a bus or truck, and enjoy the leveraged non-powered steering.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

It is an MOT failure,

MOT Test Manual: 2.3 Power Steering inspection methods and Rejection Reasons

Reason for Rejection

1. Power steering fluid level below the minimum indication where this is shown.

2. A fluid pipe or hose excessively damaged, corroded or fouling on other parts of the vehicle.

a. Power steering malfunctioning or inoperative or evidence that power assistance has been removed or disconnected when it is known that power steering is standard on the vehicle

Reproduced from the MOT Inspection Manual by kind permission of THE VEHICLE INSPECTORATE.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
          The usual "experts" replying here after a quick Google, and the health and safety police wringing their hands...

Failed power steering does not make the car more dangerous, it just makes the steering heavier since the hydraulic rams which assist the underlying manual steering system wont work any more.

Do you think the manufacturers don't consider potential hydraulic failure when designing these items?

It's not uncommon in motorsport for power-steering racks from higher-spec'd models to be used on a rally car (road legal before anyone goes there) as generally they have a quicker steering action. The 205 GTi is a common example here.

I'd suggest you remove all the PAS components (bar the rack obviously) and just plug the rack where the pipes go.

You may need to change any shared drive belts for shorter versions from a non-PAS model.
          Agreed but when you are used to a power-steering and certainly fail, you don't expect to use more force and you could have an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Our trusty old Mazda 3 has been relegated to the driveway following the power steering failing... it had a trade-in value of only about £400 prior to that and the repair would cost more like £500.
            This is still a contractor forum, isn't it? Or have we been invaded by a Pikey forum on their summer holidays?

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              This is still a contractor forum, isn't it? Or have we been invaded by a Pikey forum on their summer holidays?

Pikeys always have nice cars.

Vans not so much.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                Agreed but when you are used to a power-steering and certainly fail, you don't expect to use more force and you could have an accident.
                I had a drive belt break on the M4 and didn't discover this until I tried to get round the roundabout at Junction 18. and then had another 20 miles to go on main roads, though Bath and then down the lanes to home. Yes the car is driveable but (a) the rack is geared at about 2.5 turns lock to lock as opposed to the 4 or more than a manual rack would use, (b) it's bloody knackering since you need both arms to get any turning applied at all and (c) in an emergency I really couldn't have reacted fast enough.

Also a race car is a lot lighter than a road one, and if it's being driven properly at competitive speeds you don't need a lot of steering input anyway. They are a lot less fun getting out of the pits at 20 mph. In my experience, anyway...

So yes, the car is dangerous and shouldn't be on the roads. Unless you really fancy proving the size of your bollocks and explaining to the nice officer how little impact this trivial failure had in causing the accident...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Also a race car is a lot lighter than a road one, and if it's being driven properly at competitive speeds you don't need a lot of steering input anyway. They are a lot less fun getting out of the pits at 20 mph. In my experience, anyway...
                  I did specify rally car not a race car Mal - you may not need much steering effort for the roundy-roundy stuff but I can assure you rallies tend to need a tad more effort
                  Do what thou wilt

Comment

Whilst i understand the Op's need to not spend the money I think in this instance you need to suck it up.

If you are not willing to spend lots of money on a decent car then this may help

Used Cars for Sale - Auto Trader UK

Comment

Game Set Match - Vetran!
                      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Working...
                      X