Any car-nuts here? Any car-nuts here?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 71

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Default Any car-nuts here?

Our trusty old Mazda 3 has been relegated to the driveway following the power steering failing... it had a trade-in value of only about £400 prior to that and the repair would cost more like £500.

I've been using it as a battered runabout - tip runs and the like as it still has MOT. I can drive it with a bit of effort but my wife's not physically strong enough to turn the wheel.

We're told it will unsurprisingly fail the MOT with leaking hydraulics, but it runs OK so I'd rather keep it until something else goes wrong. I wondered if removing the power steering entirely is feasible as a way to make the steering slightly lighter, and mean it could still pass the MOT since I don't think power steering is mandatory.

Anyone into car mechanics able to offer an educated opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

vetran is always on top

Buy a Mondeo!
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

MarkyMark has a Golf he's trying to sell cheap.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

northernladuk is always on top

Why keep a car that is now clearly dangerous to drive? Give it to the Butler and get yourself something safe to drive.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Double Godlike!

MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Our trusty old Mazda 3 has been relegated to the driveway following the power steering failing... it had a trade-in value of only about £400 prior to that and the repair would cost more like £500.

I've been using it as a battered runabout - tip runs and the like as it still has MOT. I can drive it with a bit of effort but my wife's not physically strong enough to turn the wheel.

We're told it will unsurprisingly fail the MOT with leaking hydraulics, but it runs OK so I'd rather keep it until something else goes wrong. I wondered if removing the power steering entirely is feasible as a way to make the steering slightly lighter, and mean it could still pass the MOT since I don't think power steering is mandatory.

Anyone into car mechanics able to offer an educated opinion?
    I would worry more about the fact you are now driving uninsured.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/p...ex.htm?t=46378

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/p...ex.htm?t=46378
    WMMMS

A car can be roadworthy without an MOT and unroadworthy with one. All an MOT proves is on the day the car was tested it was roadworthy.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

d000hg - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Why keep a car that is now clearly dangerous to drive? Give it to the Butler and get yourself something safe to drive.
    Why is it dangerous to drive? I learned to drive on cars without power steering... it's a labour-saving aid. Only at very low speed is it problematic, 3-point turns and so on.

Bunch of pampered wusses.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Super poster

vwdan is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    People love throwing this phrase around, ignoring the fact that there's almost no way of an insurer avoiding a 3rd party claim. As that's the minimum required in law, he's almost likely insured legally.

Not saying it's a good idea - they could refuse his comprehensive claim (if applicable) and/or cancel his insurance going forward etc but this whole "Ah, you're no longer insured" is much of a myth half the time.

Double Godlike!

malvolio - scorchio!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

Why is it dangerous to drive? I learned to drive on cars without power steering... it's a labour-saving aid. Only at very low speed is it problematic, 3-point turns and so on.

Yeah but the basis tenet of the MOT is that if something relating to the controls of a car is fitted then it must be working properly. Have a shunt with a car carrying a major fault and your insurance is dead an buried.
    Blog? What blog...?

Super poster

vwdan is NOT a disguised employee

Because power steering isn't a simple bolt onto traditional steering - it's not just an addition to make it easier. You'll generally find powered steering cars without power steering to be much harder to turn than a factory non-powered steering car because it's an integral part of the system. The car will have been designed with that in mind.

It's like brake servos - modern cars are VERY hard to brake without a servo, despite old cars not being built with them.
    Last edited by vwdan; 8th August 2017 at 11:52.