• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any car-nuts here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any car-nuts here?

Our trusty old Mazda 3 has been relegated to the driveway following the power steering failing... it had a trade-in value of only about £400 prior to that and the repair would cost more like £500.

I've been using it as a battered runabout - tip runs and the like as it still has MOT. I can drive it with a bit of effort but my wife's not physically strong enough to turn the wheel.

We're told it will unsurprisingly fail the MOT with leaking hydraulics, but it runs OK so I'd rather keep it until something else goes wrong. I wondered if removing the power steering entirely is feasible as a way to make the steering slightly lighter, and mean it could still pass the MOT since I don't think power steering is mandatory.

Anyone into car mechanics able to offer an educated opinion?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Buy a Mondeo!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

MarkyMark has a Golf he's trying to sell cheap.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Why keep a car that is now clearly dangerous to drive? Give it to the Butler and get yourself something safe to drive.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Our trusty old Mazda 3 has been relegated to the driveway following the power steering failing... it had a trade-in value of only about £400 prior to that and the repair would cost more like £500.

I've been using it as a battered runabout - tip runs and the like as it still has MOT. I can drive it with a bit of effort but my wife's not physically strong enough to turn the wheel.

We're told it will unsurprisingly fail the MOT with leaking hydraulics, but it runs OK so I'd rather keep it until something else goes wrong. I wondered if removing the power steering entirely is feasible as a way to make the steering slightly lighter, and mean it could still pass the MOT since I don't think power steering is mandatory.

Anyone into car mechanics able to offer an educated opinion?
          I would worry more about the fact you are now driving uninsured.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/p...ex.htm?t=46378
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/p...ex.htm?t=46378
            WMMMS

A car can be roadworthy without an MOT and unroadworthy with one. All an MOT proves is on the day the car was tested it was roadworthy.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Why keep a car that is now clearly dangerous to drive? Give it to the Butler and get yourself something safe to drive.
              Why is it dangerous to drive? I learned to drive on cars without power steering... it's a labour-saving aid. Only at very low speed is it problematic, 3-point turns and so on.

Bunch of pampered wusses.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                People love throwing this phrase around, ignoring the fact that there's almost no way of an insurer avoiding a 3rd party claim. As that's the minimum required in law, he's almost likely insured legally.

Not saying it's a good idea - they could refuse his comprehensive claim (if applicable) and/or cancel his insurance going forward etc but this whole "Ah, you're no longer insured" is much of a myth half the time.

Comment

Why is it dangerous to drive? I learned to drive on cars without power steering... it's a labour-saving aid. Only at very low speed is it problematic, 3-point turns and so on.

Yeah but the basis tenet of the MOT is that if something relating to the controls of a car is fitted then it must be working properly. Have a shunt with a car carrying a major fault and your insurance is dead an buried.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Because power steering isn't a simple bolt onto traditional steering - it's not just an addition to make it easier. You'll generally find powered steering cars without power steering to be much harder to turn than a factory non-powered steering car because it's an integral part of the system. The car will have been designed with that in mind.

It's like brake servos - modern cars are VERY hard to brake without a servo, despite old cars not being built with them.
                    Last edited by vwdan; 8 August 2017, 11:52.

Comment

Working...
                    X