• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staff shortages pushing up wages...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Logic fail yourself, if Sainsbury's is raising wages to stop people leaving (because of wages) quite clearly wages are increasing across the market.
    Nope.

Aldi and Lidl always paid their staff more than the other supermarkets but their jobs are harder as the staff have to do more.

However you can't work at a Lidl if there isn't one in your town.

As both supermarkets are opening new stores this is the actual threat to the better established supermarkets in terms of losing staff.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
      because I'm fortunate enough that my skills / labour command slightly more than £100 p/d

of course I could do it myself but losing hundreds of £ per day to save one isn't exactly financially prudent

but you're a savvy investor you would know that already
      £220 for today so £100 sounds cheap.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        £220 for today so £100 sounds cheap.
        for 1 or 2 days work I could understand a high rate but this was a whole house with fresh plaster, was trying to sell them on the "project" barstewards weren't having any of it

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
          range of quotes - £8400 - £1500
          (based on about 10 quotations)

even the migrant labour wanted £2000 for 20 days decorating work, £100 p/d isn't bad but I'm skint
          I have a British decorator re-painting my house today. I pay £160 per day and this is on par with other rates around (Edinburgh). I am happy to pay this since he did a good job so far...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Nope.

Aldi and Lidl always paid their staff more than the other supermarkets but their jobs are harder as the staff have to do more.

As both supermarkets are opening new stores this is the actual threat to the better established supermarkets in terms of losing staff.
            The horror of businesses that pay better wages coming to a town near you!
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Nope.

Yup higher productivity, that's the only way you can pay more in a sustainable way. Some Brexiteers think simply by sending the foreigners home will raise their wage. This is of course "poppycock". If it were the case Zimbabwe would have the highest wages in the world.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Yup higher productivity, that's the only way you can pay more in a sustainable way. Some Brexiteers think simply by sending the foreigners home will raise their wage. This is of course "poppycock". If it were the case Zimbabwe would have the highest wages in the world.

What about a more equitable distribution of corporate profit?
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

noooo that is far too reasonable!!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yes the right-wing Brexiter Tories like Jacob Rees-Mogg and the rest really, really want more equitable distribution of profit
                    There is no doubt whatsoever that Brexit will reduce the overall number of jobs in the UK - question is by how much....
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

You will find that most of the income from any company actually goes to the employees. The "profit" actually gets ploughed back into the business to ensure it grows. The computer that you work in the office is actually bought out of the "profit". People wrongly think that profit sits in rich people's bank accounts. The only money you can distribute would be the dividends or the CEO' salary. If you were to distribute the dividends you would find it would make hardly any difference to the wages and it would trash the value of the shares of the company so making it unable to raise capital on the stock market. As for the CEO's salary it would also make no difference if he took a 10% pay cut and you distributed it to thousands of people.

There is a direct correlation between profitability and wages. The more profitable a company is the higher the wages are, eg banks and oil companies pay generous salaries, supermarkets pay paltry wages.

In the end a worker producing a BMW will put in the same hours as a worker producing a Vauxhall Corsa, but earn more, because the customer pays more for what he's produced, i.e. "productivity".

Any redistribution has to be done through the tax system.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 August 2017, 16:36.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X