• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stop being so macho...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop being so macho...

... and speak to the boss.

One in three men say their jobs are causing them to have poor mental health, according to a survey.

Mental health charity Mind carried out the research and said many men work in industries where a "macho culture" exists which may prevent them from talking about their feelings.

The charity raised concerns that many men do not feel able to speak to their bosses about the impact their job is having on their wellbeing.

Of the 15,000 employees that took part in Mind's Workplace Wellbeing Index survey, 1,763 said they are currently experiencing poor mental health.

The survey also found that men are less likely to seek help or take time off work - 43% of women said they have taken time off for poor mental health at some point in their career, compared with 29% of men.

And 31% of men said the culture in their organisation makes it possible to speak openly about their mental health problems, compared with 38% of women.

The charity said men often try to deal with problems on their own, rather than sharing them.

linky
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    ... and speak to the boss.

linky
    It's probably all the fault of feminazis hen-pecking men.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      It's probably all the fault of feminazis hen-pecking men.
      It's not always about you.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        It's not always about you.
        How do you manage to get every single thing wrong? By the law of averages you ought to get it right sometimes.

Comment

The article is bull tulip

Trying to make out that your boss gives a tulip about you for anything other than what you can do to make them look good and earn their bonus is naive thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            The article is bull tulip

Trying to make out that your boss gives a tulip about you for anything other than what you can do to make them look good and earn their bonus is naive thinking.
            QED.

Some of us know how to build human relationships, although it is of course important to recognise when your boss is a narcissist, sociopath or similar type.

Comment

https://youtu.be/s7DqwRKqyMk
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

QED.

Some of us know how to build human relationships, although it is of course important to recognise when your boss is a narcissist, sociopath or similar type.
                Indeed - and I always do.

However in some companies as I am sure you are aware the ability to do the job appears to come second to the ability to suck up to your boss.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Indeed - and I always do.

However in some companies as I am sure you are aware the ability to do the job appears to come second to the ability to suck up to your boss.
                  Maybe. I did go permie three years ago, but handed in my notice after three months, as I was working for a complete nutjob. Funnily, he used to fawn all over his boss. It was embarrassing. Anyway, I went contracting again and stole their client.

But usually, it's not so black and white. You have to play the game a bit and build relationships. And at the same time you need to do the right thing and deliver to the best of your ability.

Comment

How do you manage to get every single thing wrong? By the law of averages you ought to get it right sometimes.
                    you do go on a bit. ssssshhhhhhh now.

Comment

Working...
                    X