• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DaveB is obviously disturbed.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DaveB is obviously disturbed.

Billo & Me are a bit weird.

Why middle-aged men are cycling more - it's not to get fit | Daily Mail Online

The REAL reason more middle-aged men are cycling: Study reveals they are doing it for their MENTAL rather than physical health
    A growing number of middle-aged men in the UK are taking up cycling
    A study of 11 professional middle-aged males who cycle reveals why they do it
    They said cycling helps them feel connected to others and celebrate mastering challenges
    yep its not the lycra its the feeling.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Billo & Me are a bit weird.

Why middle-aged men are cycling more - it's not to get fit | Daily Mail Online

yep its not the lycra its the feeling.
    Nah, it's just an excuse to go drinking....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
      Nah, it's just an excuse to go drinking....

Worked with a Swedish guy who couldn't understand the adult British mentally to sports clubs. He said "You do all this sport to get fit then go and drink alcohol". I didn't have the heart to tell him about running clubs where you do a pub crawl on a "training" run....
      Last edited by SueEllen; 11 August 2017, 05:19.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Got to burn it to earn it, especially as you get older and want to still eat and drink whatever you like without getting a beer gut. Works for me.

I do laugh at all the lycra clad blokes (not so much the women they look fine to me ) I see struggling to go faster than the kids with their jeans tucked into their socks (they still do that don't they ) as I whizz passed on my motorised bike.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Getting fit benefits one mentally.....

Comment

The danger aspect of it and kicking off at motorists must be quite a rush as well. I only ever cycle in the park me...
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              The danger aspect of it and kicking off at motorists must be quite a rush as well. I only ever cycle in the park me...
              That is the worst bit! The only way is to assume that every motorist(and Surrey householder) wants to kill you. Cycle defensively and you won't get knocked off. Too often.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

I do laugh at all the lycra clad blokes (not so much the women they look fine to me ) I see struggling to go faster than the kids with their jeans tucked into their socks (they still do that don't they ) as I whizz passed on my motorised bike.
                Nope you wear skinny or straight jeans now that don't need tucking in.

It's amusing looking at the bikes people have though. Kids on cheap road bikes go much faster than MAMILs on their £2K+ ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  Not dangerous unless there is a lorry or coach behind you. Then again I think most car and van drivers really don't want to run over a female cyclist especially one wearing a skirt.

Comment

https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio...on-this-page-4

Some good points, though alot of nonsense too: -

Stay central on narrow roads. Try to ride away from the gutter. If the road is too narrow for vehicles to pass you safely, it might be safer to ride towards the middle of the lane to prevent dangerous overtaking by other vehicles. That just p1sses off drivers.

Stay away from parked cars. Ideally, keep a door's width away in case the door opens suddenly. Also, try to ride in a straight line past parked cars rather than dodging between them. Again it just p1sses off drivers.

Stay back from HGVs. Lorries and other large vehicles might not be able to see you clearly, so stay well back behind them. Sometimes true. At other times, it is best to push through aggressively.

Make eye contact. Try to make eye contact with drivers so you're sure that they have seen you. No driver will make eye contact with you! I tried it this morning on my morning commute.

Comment

Working...
                    X