• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Climate change experts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
    Right because if you wanted to line your pockets you'd go into academia or charity work ? Get real.
    Not quite sure why you quoted me there. Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth etc. are charities who love global warming, because it furthers their agenda - not because it makes them rich.

Governments like global warming, because it allows new taxes.

Science has its own fads. If what you're studying isn't mainstream, then you'll find it more difficult to get funding. Especially if what you're studying will negate the research of a large number of scientists.

The problem with man-made global warming science is not that it is in any way bad science, it is simply that it has become highly politicised, and (by the likes of Greenpeace) propagandised.

The fact that something is a charity does not mean that its goals and aims are for the benefit of humanity as a whole.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Not quite sure why you quoted me there. Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth etc. are charities who love global warming, because it furthers their agenda - not because it makes them rich.

Science has its own fads. If what you're studying isn't mainstream, then you'll find it more difficult to get funding. Especially if what you're studying will negate the research of a large number of scientists.

The problem with man-made global warming science is not that it is in any way bad science, it is simply that it has become highly politicised, and (by the likes of Greenpeace) propagandised.

The fact that something is a charity does not mean that its goals and aims are for the benefit of humanity as a whole.
      Given how opinion of experts seems to change daily on things, such as whether something is good for you or not, I just don't know if they can predict the future on the scale of the climate.
      Having said that, to me it's obvious that in a world with growing population and related pollution, something will probably give eventually (one or more of disease, food shortages, the air killing us, global warming, our own stupidity -war).

Comment

I'm pretty sure there is climate change, and I can agree that it might be exacerbate by human activity. I'm 100% certain that various groups - governments, Greenpeace etc. - are using climate change to further their own agendas. I'm a 100% certain that a significant proportion of climate change deniers are as thick as Brexiters.
        Agree 98% with that (The 2% is the "as Brexiters" crack obviously, as I am one!)

Actually I only agree 96%, with the another missing 2% being where you say "a significant proportion of" instead of, as it should be, "all"
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Nigel Lawson admits claim that global temperatures have fallen was false

Global Warming Policy Foundation concedes that the Tory peer's supposedly official figures were wrong and produced by a right-wing think tank
          Experts correct, Lawson wrong.

Good of him to fess up, the usual drill is to wait then restate the false claim at a higher volume....

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a7894686.html
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

I suppose you think administering science in NHS hospitals is "highly politicised" and a fad too?

I also think you don't know how tenure works.

Comment

Originally posted by glebe digital View Post
              Well TIL the average pay of a university professor in the UK is about £76K, not bad considering you'll never lose you job unless you go 'off message' or fondle some bright young thing.

"Twelve of the top 100 charities paid their highest earners more than £300,000 and 32 more than £200,000."
              Charity pay study: Who are the highest earners? | Third Sector
              How much do you think those people would be earning with similar year's experience if they had gone into banking?

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
                How much do you think those people would be earning with similar year's experience if they had gone into banking?
                Pure sophistry! Forgive me but you seem to assume that all humans get the same lucky breaks and have an inbuilt aptitude for fiddling a LIBOR rate; they don't. If we all 'could be anything we wanted' we'd all be doing precisely that.

And anyway, many of your 'ideal bankers' would've been laid-off post Lehman.......personally I'd take a safe chair at a crumbling Uni any day.

Comment

Working...
                X