• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Achtung - Kellner sprechen Englisch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    English is spoken by many other countries beyond the UK.

For example, English is an official language of the Republic of Ireland.
    No facts!
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      In any of those cities (and country), they definitely speak Russian at the more expensive restaurants and hotels. In fact outside the centre of Istanbul Russian is more widely spoken than English. The reason being there is an enormous amount of business and trade with Russians. I have worked in all of the aforementioned places.

BTW The greatest number of tourists in Turkey are the Germans.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Turkey

Yet another Brexiter post thinking that the British Empire still exists.
      I don't speak Russian, I do however have personal knowledge of speaking English in most of those cities, Barcelona I have never been to, but a Russian Colleague did and I asked him so how did you communicate when there ? He said "English of course".

Not the post British Empire but the Post Hollywood & MIT Empire, they speak American English you numbnuts.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Achtung - Kellner sprechen Englisch

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Oh goody some minor German politician is a complaining about foreigners.

Jens Spahn slams waiters in Berlin for speaking English | Daily Mail Online

all one big happy family maybe this is hate crime caused by Brexit?

By the way Jens, yes you do see it happen in Paris,Bonn,Greece,Istanbul, Amsterdam & apparently Barcelona (the locals didn't speak Russian when my colleague went there).
        It's a shame that you and the Daily Mail don't even do any fact checking.

He actually said "in some Berlin restaurants the staff only speak English."

This was as part of his reply to a question about his involvement in a government group who are trying to promote the German language. He believes that people in Germany should learn to speak German and that the government should help people to learn the language.

His comment about Parisienne restaurants was that the French are proud of their language and their food, the waiting staff in a good restaurant in Paris would speak French. They may be able to converse with customers, etc in other languages, but the language of the restaurant is French, not English.

So your follow up rant:
        Originally posted by vetran View Post
        ...one of the most powerful men in the EU complains he hates to hear English when communicating with tourists ...
        ...Is just the usual ranting based on twisting facts etc, that Paul Dacre and his worshippers love.

His comments were NOTHING to do with talking to tourists.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

This was as part of his reply to a question about his involvement in a government group who are trying to promote the German language. He believes that people in Germany should learn to speak German and that the government should help people to learn the language.

His comment about Parisienne restaurants was that the French are proud of their language and their food, the waiting staff in a good restaurant in Paris would speak French. They may be able to converse with customers, etc in other languages, but the language of the restaurant is French, not English.
          Quiet. They need some alt-facts to stitch together into their Brexit comfort blankie.

Comment

Vetran, your obsession with Germany is touching but now unnecessary.
            We're leaving**.
            You don't seem to be thrilled with your "win", what with this constant carping and obsession with the EU.

**Actually you're leaving, I'm not, missus now has dual EU nationality

Looks like Hammond has caved in to a hard Brexit: No single market and no customs union.
            https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-way-to-remain

I look forward to future Brexit entertainment, if necessary from another country.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              We're leaving**.
              You don't seem to be thrilled with your "win", what with this constant carping and obsession with the EU.

Looks like Hammond has caved in to a hard Brexit: No single market and no customs union.

I look forward to future Brexit entertainment, if necessary from another country.
              Congrats to the missus on the citizenship.

Comment

We're leaving**.

Indeed, James Chapman's comments about the Tory party being destroyed by Brexit are not an exaggeration.

First Conservative MP threatens to quit party if Theresa May presses ahead with hard Brexit | The Independent

If the economy turns South the Tories are finished, they're going to split.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

We're leaving**.

Its a major part of the EU. If we had stayed we would have been directly affected. Even when we weren't part of the EU issues in Germany affected us significantly.

Any UK politician would be pilloried if they suggested all immigrants should speak English based on National pride.

I see it as a good escape frankly.

ah your missus fixes it for you again! Congrats keep up the good work with the crayons.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    Indeed, James Chapman's comments about the Tory party being destroyed by Brexit are not an exaggeration.

First Conservative MP threatens to quit party if Theresa May presses ahead with hard Brexit | The Independent

If the economy turns South the Tories are finished, they're going to split.

So Anna Soubry reveals herself as a saboteur on one side and Farage threatens an armed brownshirt rising on the other. Meanwhile the government dithers and the economy teeters.

Good old Brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

So your follow up rant:

...Is just the usual ranting based on twisting facts etc, that Paul Dacre and his worshippers love.

His comments were NOTHING to do with talking to tourists.
                      In Paris they have running street battles with the Police on a regular basis as there is significant discrimination evident in France.

From the original article:
                      https://www.noz.de/deutschland-welt/...en-zwirn-gehen

Do you support the initiative of several members of the Bundestag for the revaluation of German?
                      Clear. We should promote the language and the learning of the German language internationally and European. There is an increasing interest, for example in the language courses offered by our Goethe Institutes worldwide. And even in Germany itself co-existence can only succeed if all speak German. We should and should expect this from every immigrant. I am, incidentally, increasingly on the twist that in some Berlin restaurants the service speaks only English. There would surely be no one on such a schnapside in Paris.

So these restaurants only speak to Germans?

Comment

Working...
                      X