• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Overseas purchases - warning to fellow CUK cheapskates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overseas purchases - warning to fellow CUK cheapskates

Never heard of this before, so tip to anyone else. Brought something from the US, got home to find it had been left with a neighbour.

Shortly afterwards got a phone call from DHL asking for a duty/VAT payment + fee. I assumed it was a scam but after a few online checks, including HMRC site, I found it wasn't. Apparently overseas purchases often do not include duty and VAT which is then charged by the delivery company. Then they add a fee.

Bah!!!! Bloody government - biggest fraudsters of all!

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
    Pay duties and taxes, customs duty for personal goods shipped by DHL
    UK Buying USA Import VAT Customs Duty Parcel Force Fees | eBay
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I've been caught by this. Bought something off a random web site, turned out it came from China.

The worst bit is that it's not just the VAT you pay, you have to pay the courier an admin fee in the region of £10 as well. (Edit: sorry, I see you mentioned the fee.)

Comment

Ahh such an innocent.

Royal Mail can charge you the same.

That's why you need to be careful when receiving or sending gifts outside the EFTA as to their value.

BTW You also need to be careful when shipping your own stuff from abroad using a courier.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That's why you need to be careful when receiving or sending gifts
        Me send gifts???? I'm safe on that one.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

the fee used to be about £70.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Surprised they delivered it first and then asked for the duty and VAT, usually they want that up front before delivery.

Comment

Why not buy British? There are some very good British inflatable sheep. So I am told....

Comment

Because companies like this deliver first and then try to bill you later, I've been known to pay the duty only (via bank transfer to account details they supply) and their additional admin fee (sometimes more than the duty) somehow slips my tiny little mind...

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
                  Because companies like this deliver first and then try to bill you later, I've been known to pay the duty only (via bank transfer to account details they supply) and their additional admin fee (sometimes more than the duty) somehow slips my tiny little mind...
                  Do they ever re-request it?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Do they ever re-request it?
                    Well yeah, but not via any legitimate process I recognise that would ever end up in court.

Comment

Working...
                    X