• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS culling IT staff and contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unite union claims RBS plans 900 IT job cuts - BBC News

The Unite union has said Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) is planning 900 technology job cuts at its London office by 2020 to reduce costs.

It alleged that RBS intends to cut 40% of its permanent IT staff, or 650 jobs, as well as 230 contractors.
    Money to be made selling benches me thinks.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

What % of the contract staff would 230 represent?
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      What % of the contract staff would 230 represent?
      One corner on one floor of one of the offices.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        One corner on one floor of one of the offices.
        Sounds like a gravy ship.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I bet they will be offshored.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I bet the people who made the decisions to protect their bonuses could not really give a toss.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              I bet the people who made the decisions to protect their bonuses could not really give a toss.
              Amazing how many senior management do 2 years, "save" money(which actually costs in the long term), get the bonuses, then leave before the ppp hits the fan. Seagull management.

My favourite was JPM getting rid of all their internet security experts. Then losing 76 million personal detail records to Russia....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Haven't they all been offshored already? I find it hard to believe anyone would take a gig at RBS knowing full well they're going to get an annual rate cut and be replaced by the cheapest Bob at the first available opportunity.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  Haven't they all been offshored already? I find it hard to believe anyone would take a gig at RBS knowing full well they're going to get an annual rate cut and be replaced by the cheapest Bob at the first available opportunity.
                  I know a few still hanging in there. Been there 5+ years. Awaiting the chop. Carrying on invoicing.

Comment

That's because they're too frightened to cut any jobs in the mafia-type atmosphere of ops in Edinburgh. There are 2nd soon to be 3rd generation of young operators in there...

(Oh and good luck to any consultancy attempting to get DevOps in there...)
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X