• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

F*** off unless you are Christian

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    It is a private company and therefore the person who owns it can make the rules.

It is back to the argument that a business owner has a right to decide who they do business with and on what terms - if that offends a group of people the outcome should be that that business losses those customers custom and therefore any revenue which would have been generated from those customers.

In much the same way as a customer I have a right to decide where I spend my money.
    eh? Have I entered a time warp and I am back in the 1950s?

Try discriminating against anyone and you will soon find out. Unless you are POTUS or a family court judge....

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      There is a significant contingent of Orthodox Jews on virtually every flight from Heathrow to Zürich as Switzerland is a very popular holiday destination and has been for years.
      A lot from Manchester as well. I don't think it's just for holidays though.
      Switzerland is famous for a) international banking (yes a cliche but still) and b) being neutral so you can fly to/from anywhere (the Jewish diaspora are all over the shop).
      I spend a lot of time in Switzerland and their racism is more like your granny's than the alt-right in the USA. So I agree that it's unlikely to be anti-semitism, just not very well considered rule-writing (that's the German influence).
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It is a private company and therefore the person who owns it can make the rules.

It is back to the argument that a business owner has a right to decide who they do business with and on what terms - if that offends a group of people the outcome should be that that business losses those customers custom and therefore any revenue which would have been generated from those customers.

In much the same way as a customer I have a right to decide where I spend my money.
        Maybe train companies could require Jewish customers to wear a smart yellow star and travel in cattle trucks, and then market forces will sort it out.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Maybe train companies could require Jewish customers to wear a smart yellow star and travel in cattle trucks, and then market forces will sort it out.
          Well they could but the negative publicity would probably bankrupt them so it would be a bad idea.

That is the point - you can pick and choose your customers based on whatever properties you want it is just a really really bad idea to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            eh? Have I entered a time warp and I am back in the 1950s?

Try discriminating against anyone and you will soon find out. Unless you are POTUS or a family court judge....
            I can decide not to do business with you and I do not have to provide a reason.

Comment

Try running a guest house. Or anything else public facing.

Comment

As the anti-gay bakers in Northern Ireland found out, it's best NOT to provide a reason.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  A lot from Manchester as well. I don't think it's just for holidays though.
                  Switzerland is famous for a) international banking (yes a cliche but still) and b) being neutral so you can fly to/from anywhere (the Jewish diaspora are all over the shop).
                  I spend a lot of time in Switzerland and their racism is more like your granny's than the alt-right in the USA. So I agree that it's unlikely to be anti-semitism, just not very well considered rule-writing (that's the German influence).
                  Loads in Llandudno. Mostly holidays. Baby bp was wondering why they were dressed as they were. I wanted to ask them, however Mrs BP strongly advised against it. They seem to want to keep themselves to themselves and object to associating with others.

That might be because they have suffered abuse in the past....

Comment

In the UK you simply can't discriminate due to religion, gender, race, sexual orientation.

The fact one group is singled out makes it discriminatory.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      As the anti-gay bakers in Northern Ireland found out, it's best NOT to provide a reason.
                      Or that person who refused to leave a tip due to the servers LBGT tattoo...

Comment

Working...
                      X