• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lawn uprooted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawn uprooted

I paid a man to give me a new nicely shaped and trimmed lawn yesterday. It looked very nice, and Mr ms was pleased with it too.

However, overnight some wee beasties ripped up the turf and dug holes, leaving dirt and destruction everywhere. The money is on hedgehogs.

Mr ms carefully patted it all back down this morning, but it looks a bit sorry for itself.

I fear that if the beasties are back tonight, my lawn might never recover

Any suggestions for protecting it, short of putting ms#5 on guard duty?

Was it just the lawn that was trimmed and shaped? Did you have your bush done too?

Comment

Guerrilla golfers?

Comment

Crows or Jays. Hedgehogs don't do that. The birdies are looking for grubs (leatherjackets or chafer grubs) after the rain and warmth.
        Last edited by Scruff; 16 August 2017, 20:25.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Put MS#5 on duty
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Badgers; also squirrels can mess up lawns but to a lesser degree

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Was it just the lawn that was trimmed and shaped? Did you have your bush done too?
              TFA. The bush has been uprooted to make it easier to park in the driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                However, overnight some wee beasties ripped up the turf and dug holes, leaving dirt and destruction everywhere.
                Do you live near a pub....?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  However, overnight some wee beasties ripped up the turf and dug holes, leaving dirt and destruction everywhere. The money is on hedgehogs.
                  My money is on badgers. I don't think hedgehogs are destructive like that, or large and strong enough to cause significant damage overnight. They just snuffle around grabbing things like beetles and worms they happen to come across.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

You will all be pleased to hear that my lawn survived last night without further incident

Comment

Working...
                    X