• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Day Covers - Anyone knowledgable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I reckon stamp collecting is an old man's hobby (*) and slowly dying out, literally.
    I used to collect coffins but quit because I found the market was dead........
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I'd suggest you find an auctioneer that deals in stamps. There's probably a Stamp Collectors UK forum, although if it's like here it will be full of people who have put stamps on letters in the past, or have heard of stamps, but aren't interested in stamp collecting.
      Get an opinion from an established philatelist - there is one near Charing Cross station.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I reckon stamp collecting is an old man's hobby (*) and slowly dying out, literally.

So I'd flog them quick before the last of the old buffers who may be interested in them pops off.

A friend of mine, mad keen on stamp collecting, disagrees vehemently with my theory, but then he is 70.

(*) and I do mean man, because I don't think many women collect stamps, unless you count HMQ with her Royal Collection.
        Yep, a totally pointless hobby. Who was it said, "Philately will get you nowhere..."?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          Get an opinion from an established philatelist - there is one near Charing Cross station.
          I am sure I went to see a girl once near Charing Cross called philatelist? Or was it KIngs X?

Comment

Stanley Gibbons is the main trader in stamps.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Stanley Gibbons is the main trader in stamps.
              I thought it was the Post Office...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Eek is right. Go to Stanley Gibbons in London.

However, be prepared for them to be worth less than your cab ride. First day covers from the 70's - 80's are really not very rare.

I know more about this than I would like to due to having been left a stamp collection by a distant uncle who claimed to be a "forensic philatelist" but whose life work was worth a lot less than he had paid for it.
                England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                X