• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A futures Mrs BP?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A futures Mrs BP?

LIZ JONES: Women NEED diamond rings | Daily Mail Online

I’ve been proposed to precisely twice. The first went exactly like this: ‘I want to be tied to you, Chubby.’ I accepted. What can I say? I was over 40, and the prospect of me ever getting married was looking as likely as being attacked by a shark on dry land.

There was no ring at any point in the proceedings; I even had to pay for our platinum wedding bands. In this I resembled Liz Taylor who, Cartier told me, always picked up the tab for her jewels so Richard Burton didn’t feel emasculated.

My husband did later buy me something with diamond chips, but was keen to point out it was a ‘friendship ring’, even though we were married, reminding me of that brilliant line in Bridget Jones that goes: ‘Magda said even after she and Jeremy were married, whenever she mentioned children he went all funny and said she was getting too serious.’
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Liz Jones has made a career out of being contentious and cantankerous. After moving to Devon a few years ago, she wrote a book called The Exmoor Files, in which she criticised the locals, and she ended up being so hated that locals were taking potshots at her letterbox with shotguns! (In fairness, she had written something like "Please shoot me, and put me out of my misery living here!". So arguably they were only trying to take her at her word )

I think she lives in rural Yorkshire now, where no doubt by now she has wound up the locals as well. For someone who raves about the joys of London life, she certainly likes living in the sticks. But then I think she lives with a dozen or more rescued cats and donkeys.

edit: Couple of links:

2009-08-02 Why Liz Jones is wrong about Exmoor

and it isn't just Devon rustics. No one in the fashion world will talk to her either:

2015-11-01 LIZ JONES'S DIARY: In which I’m ignored at Paris Fashion Week

No one talks to me. Not the fashion editor of a broadsheet whom I once interviewed for a job on the Evening Standard: you’d think I were invisible.

Perhaps she slights me because I once wrote, after she penned a feature in Vogue on having thin hair, that she is in fact almost bald (I feel it’s immoral to take money for such features and not spill your guts completely, to obfuscate, make things better than they really are).

Not even the two former glossy fashion editors whom I employed and sat in a limo with for years, now stylists for online shopping sites given they both have two children each. They look straight through me. ...
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 20 August 2017, 12:15.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I know plenty of women who don't like them for ethical reasons or the fact they know it's a De Beer's con.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        A futures Mrs BP?

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
          You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to greenlake again.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Liz Jones has made a career out of being contentious and cantankerous.
            So more suited to assguru then?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              There are only so many patios a fellow can have....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrilloPad again.
                You would of thought someone of my stature could give out some reputation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  You would of thought someone of my stature could give out some reputation!
                  Go and -ve rep the Remoaners a bit then retry.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    There are only so many patios a fellow can have....
                    Branching out to garden paths is suggested....

Comment

Working...
                    X