• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advertising availability on LinkedIn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Personally I treat agents as the enemy and try to deprive them of as much information as possible.
    If you really hate them I assume you are going to marry one next?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      If you are a generic IT bod this may be true but it is different if you have niche skills that are in demand. But in this case it is better to tap up former clients in advance rather than agents.
      1. Contractors you have worked with before (if you got on well)
      2. Clients you have worked with before
      Both of these can be done before the end of the contract

Only after it has ended would you contact agents you know - in the order of the most trustworthy down to the least.

After you've done that, then and only then consider updating your LI profile to say you are looking.

But, while you are in a contract, take calls from agents you know and let them know your expected availability (take the current contract end date and add on a couple of months)

If you are niche then the agents who know you and know that market will know the rates and won't waste your time with contracts that are 1/2 your current one. Agents who don't have a clue will trawl LI to find people, but they will be no good in getting you to interview stage or in securing a good rate.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        There is a flag you can set on LinkedIn to say you are available to recruiters, but as others have said 8 weeks is far too soon, no pimp would want to speak to you because they all have clients who "need someone to start Monday"

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/career-interests/

I've never noticed any difference how that flag is set to be honest. Though, the last couple of years, LinkedIn does seem to produce more inquiries than it used to. Most of them useless, but I only need one job at a time. Though it always seems that as soon as I start in a job, three weeks later plenty of better ones come along.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          1. Contractors you have worked with before (if you got on well)
          2. Clients you have worked with before
          Both of these can be done before the end of the contract

Only after it has ended would you contact agents you know - in the order of the most trustworthy down to the least.

After you've done that, then and only then consider updating your LI profile to say you are looking.

But, while you are in a contract, take calls from agents you know and let them know your expected availability (take the current contract end date and add on a couple of months)

If you are niche then the agents who know you and know that market will know the rates and won't waste your time with contracts that are 1/2 your current one. Agents who don't have a clue will trawl LI to find people, but they will be no good in getting you to interview stage or in securing a good rate.
          Why would you suggest adding on a few months to the end of the contract, is this just to take a break?

Comment

Originally posted by mrjaywarren View Post
            Why would you suggest adding on a few months to the end of the contract, is this just to take a break?
            1. Because the agent will phone you up at least one month before their perceived end of the contract.
            2. If they know your current client, they will phone them up at the same time to say that they hear you are leaving, even if you are in discussions about extensions.
            3. It gives you a chance to find work directly, before giving up a % in commission to an agent.
            4. You're a contractor, it's a good idea to take a few days off between contracts, you then have time for interviews, etc, without having to take time out of the existing contract.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              1. Because the agent will phone you up at least one month before their perceived end of the contract.
              2. If they know your current client, they will phone them up at the same time to say that they hear you are leaving, even if you are in discussions about extensions.
              3. It gives you a chance to find work directly, before giving up a % in commission to an agent.
              4. You're a contractor, it's a good idea to take a few days off between contracts, you then have time for interviews, etc, without having to take time out of the existing contract.
              Great advice, my role is niche in the Information and Cyber Security field.

Comment

Working...
              X