• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advertising availability on LinkedIn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advertising availability on LinkedIn

Does anyone else declare on LinkedIn when their current contract is coming to an end?

I'm 8 weeks from my contract ending and I've been informed it won't be renewed again but was offered the role as perm, I was thinking of creating a contact list of my LinkedIn recruiters and dropping them an email with my CV attached but posting about it might also help?

What are the pros and cons of doing this, is it considered distasteful and for those who don't do it why?

Apologies if this is the wrong section.

All they want to know is if you are available or not. 8 weeks is too early and giving them any kind of advance warning won't work. They want people that are available and there enough of them. Agents are about the churn so they aren't going to bugger about with someone that might or might not be available in two months.

A week or two before then end of the gig change your title to say you are seeking new opportunities or are avalaible for new work. 8 weeks is far too early. It's hard enough finding someone that will wait a month let alone two.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If say you are available now agents will ask you to leave your current contract so don't bother until 2-3 weeks before it ends.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You can make a contact list to mail a CV out on LinkedIn? I'm all ears how to do this, it's news to me.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

My last gig coming to an end was broadcast on the BBC for 24 hours solid. It even got it's own thread on CUK.

You've done the latter, now how about the former?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            You can make a contact list to mail a CV out on LinkedIn? I'm all ears how to do this, it's news to me.
            I don't think you're going to get the answer you were hoping for.

Copy and paste each individual recruiters email and maintain and offline list :-(

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              All they want to know is if you are available or not. 8 weeks is too early and giving them any kind of advance warning won't work. They want people that are available and there enough of them. Agents are about the churn so they aren't going to bugger about with someone that might or might not be available in two months.

A week or two before then end of the gig change your title to say you are seeking new opportunities or are avalaible for new work. 8 weeks is far too early. It's hard enough finding someone that will wait a month let alone two.
              You mentioned that there are enough contractors out there, is this a particularly bad time to be in the market? Appreciate your comment was very general I'm just interested if I'm missing something.

Thanks for the advice, I'm just trying to plan ahead (wayyy ahead apparently lol)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

If you are a generic IT bod this may be true but it is different if you have niche skills that are in demand. But in this case it is better to tap up former clients in advance rather than agents.

Comment

Personally I treat agents as the enemy and try to deprive them of as much information as possible.

Comment

There is a flag you can set on LinkedIn to say you are available to recruiters, but as others have said 8 weeks is far too soon, no pimp would want to speak to you because they all have clients who "need someone to start Monday"

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/career-interests/

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                    X