Viewing a house you can't afford = well would you? Viewing a house you can't afford = well would you? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 51 to 56 of 56

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    Because most people's instinct is based on Vitruvian principles, which also apply to valuing the physical appearance of the person. ...
    Interesting post, but most people's instinct on dwellings is simply based on where they lived or spent time in their first years.

For example, the first Saxon invaders must have found for the taking beautiful huge Roman villas built with the best Vitruvian principles. But their instincts were that these were repellent places, cold stone cavernous mausoleums reminiscent of death. They far preferred shacks or modest halls built of wood and mud, in which they could light an open fire in the middle, simply because those were the kind of dwellings in which they had been raised (that and the fact they knew how to build and maintain them).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Interesting post, but most people's instinct on dwellings is simply based on where they lived or spent time in their first years.

For example, the first Saxon invaders must have found for the taking beautiful huge Roman villas built with the best Vitruvian principles. But their instincts were that these were repellent places, cold stone cavernous mausoleums reminiscent of death. They far preferred shacks or modest halls built of wood and mud, in which they could light an open fire in the middle, simply because those were the kind of dwellings in which they had been raised (that and the fact they knew how to build and maintain them).
    But why don't I like Victorian houses then?

I grew up in them and dislike them. And so do two of my siblings.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Super poster

Gibbon is NOT a disguised employee

How they viewed the buildings is impossible to quantify, however there wasn't that many of them compared with the rest of the empire, Britain only attained 7% urbanisation (In Italy it was 40%, Gaul 12%). They also didn't have the craftsmen or technology to repair or replicate them. Also they had fallen into disrepair by the time of the Saxon invasions with the notables leaving Britain soon after the Legions circa 410 AD.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Should post faster

Lambert Simnel has more data than eek

So I should be aiming for a crappy council terrace house in a rain-swept new town in central Scotland? Ah, no thanks.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
    So I should be aiming for a crappy council terrace house in a rain-swept new town in central Scotland? Ah, no thanks.
    FTFY

You didn't need all those extra words
    Strong and Stable Moderation

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    But why don't I like Victorian houses then?

I grew up in them and dislike them. And so do two of my siblings.
    Hard to say. But did your father have a bushy Lord Kitchener moustache and a collection of birch and bamboo canes in a hollowed out elephant's foot?

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here