• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car fun and games #844

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    Exactly. We've offered to pay reasonable costs. If I took my car* to a main dealer and was quoted £300 for an oil and filter change, is that reasonable costs? Would it be a much better oil and filter change than some (any) other recognised car servicing outlet?

*rl4's car hasn't been near a main dealer since 2009, and that was only because the former owner was a mechanic at the main dealer.

you are such a winner, pat yourself on the back

Milan.

Comment

The same whingeing bollox i've been spouting all afternoon.
      So we've established what you'd do if it was your car. Problem is, it's not your car, so you don't get to decide what to do. Get your hand in your pocket, you tight git. As a contractor you should be thinking about how you can turn the situation to your advantage. Maybe you can guilt trip the Mrs into 'working off' that extra £300 in the bedroom?

Comment

Ahhh, CUK's very own Assguru. Are you taking time out from scanning the worlds press for anti-Brexit stories to post?

Anyway. Cheers for all the thoughts/replies everyone. I'm thinking of offering to meet half way and see what he says:

We were quoted ~£300-350 for a guaranteed repair from a recognised car body shop. He was quoted ~£600 from a main dealer. I'll offer to meet him > half way and say £500, payable in cash on production of an invoice and breakdown from Honda once the work is done. He pays the rest.

If he doesn't like that, then he can choose either the authorised repairer which we pay, or go through insurance, which will affect his renewal (no fault claim).

Everything considered I think that would be a fair offer.

If you're admitting fault via insurance, it won't affect his no claims bonus with his insurance company. It's your (wife's) fault and your insurance company admit your liability. Self-fault vandalism claims are another story.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
          If you're admitting fault via insurance, it won't affect his no claims bonus with his insurance company. It's your (wife's) fault and your insurance company admit your liability. Self-fault vandalism claims are another story.
          Nope.

https://www.uswitch.com/car-insuranc...-fault-claims/

If you make a non-fault claim, it’s possible you’ll lose some or all of any no-claims discount you’ve accrued over the years, unless it was protected at the time of the claim. It may come as a surprise that you’d lose your no-claims discount for an incident that wasn’t your fault, but it’s important to remember it’s a no-claims discount, not a no-blame discount. Insurers have found that drivers with non-fault claims are more likely to have an at-fault claim in the future, so some may increase your premium to reflect this increased risk.

Now I don't agree with it, but it's a fact nontheless.
          Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
          "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Just making an enquiry with them can put your claims up nowadays. Utter madness.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...igher-premiums

Insurance companies are even worse than those twats that prang your car and won't pay for their mistake.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Insurance companies are even worse than those twats that prang your car and won't pay for their mistake.
              As stated (at least) three times now, we've offered to pay as soon as it happened, just not offered to pay the main dealer prices as there's no justification for doing so.

Read it again slowly, until it sinks in, you f***ing moron.
              Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
              "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                you are such a whinner, pat yourself on the back

Milan.
                FTFY
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You can lead a horse to water...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    You can lead a horse to water...
                    Such are your fellow-travellers ...
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Such are your fellow-travellers ...
                      Do you obsess about other things? I have a dear friend who did six-month stints with various hobbies. Totally absorbed in one until he finds something else to fixate on.

Comment

Working...
                      X