• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car fun and games #844

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many years ago, my sister borrowed my mum's car to go out for a night on the town. Before she got to do so, she reversed the car (an automatic) into the neighbour's car across the road in his driveway resulting in a slight dent in each car.

It was raining hard and the neighbour did not hear anything. Sister abandoned the idea of driving and instead got picked up by a friend.

My mum asked me could I do anything which resulted in me and my mum driving to car park and under an umbrella, I hammered out the dent; filled it; and spayed it. Fortunately it was white and easy to finish with a nice shine.

Next morning we watched as neighbour inspected his car and noticed his car had been dented and with some white paint marks. He went across the road and looked at mum's car. With no dents in her car he looked puzzled and went back home. We never heard anything afterwards.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      That's where sasguru lives isn't it?
      The second biggest in Surrey.....

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        I wonder what your attitude would be if it was the other way around, would you roll over and accept an arrogant person belittling you? Somehow I doubt it.
        That is what the mods expect....

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Many years ago, my sister borrowed my mum's car to go out for a night on the town. Before she got to do so, she reversed the car (an automatic) into the neighbour's car across the road in his driveway resulting in a slight dent in each car.

It was raining hard and the neighbour did not hear anything. Sister abandoned the idea of driving and instead got picked up by a friend.

My mum asked me could I do anything which resulted in me and my mum driving to car park and under an umbrella, I hammered out the dent; filled it; and spayed it. Fortunately it was white and easy to finish with a nice shine.

Next morning we watched as neighbour inspected his car and noticed his car had been dented and with some white paint marks. He went across the road and looked at mum's car. With no dents in her car he looked puzzled and went back home. We never heard anything afterwards.

Paddy, I'd suggest to keep anecdotes like that to yourself, and especially try to avoid sharing such themes in interviews

FTFY

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
            Paddy, I'd suggest to keep anecdotes like that to yourself, and especially try to avoid sharing such themes in interviews

FTFY

Milan.
            What I want to know is where is SAS to defend the Remainers' corner?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
              What I want to know is where is SAS to defend the Remainers' corner?
              Please put him on ignore and spare us all. Without attention he will just disappear....

Comment

UPDATE:

So I decided to just give the neighbour the £600 to keep the peace and

So I got back off holiday on Monday evening, neighbour comes walking over. With the post-holiday blues and after driving 210 miles with screaming kids in the back I wasn't in the mood for any arguments. Anyhow he starts going on about how he got thinking about it and decided to go round to the place we wanted. Chatted to the owner, was impressed and everything clean and tidy, showed him some jobs in process etc. Happy to take it there.

So the garage picked his car up Wednesday morn, left him a courtesy car, dropped his off last night. Came round saying he's well chuffed with the job. £260+VAT so £312 all in. He's happy we're happy. Even said he was gonna take his missus' Mini in cos she wants a union jack on the roof.

Moral of the story: Take your time and don't just bend over a barrel if you're sure that to do so would be monetarily and morally repugnant.

Our Brexit negotiation team seem to be taking a similar stance with the divorce bill.
                Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  I'm with NLUK on this and I'm finding it really hard to see any other point of view. You smash up an expensive asset of theirs and expect them to bend to YOUR will - that's not right. They're doing YOU a favour by accepting a cash / no insurance job - not the other way around. Just pay the bloody money and don't reverse into someones car.

I reversed into a girls car a few years back - a tulipbox Corsa. Got out, apologised, looked at the damage and she said "Oh, that bumper was already broken - I keep meaning to get it fixed". I said "Oh, just get the lot done and let me know how much it is". THAT'S good will - not telling them to get it fixed at your mates and putting an arbitrary value on it.
                  That's not goodwill, that's trying to get laid.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                    Anyhow he starts going on about how he got thinking about it and decided to go round to the place we wanted. Chatted to the owner, was impressed and everything clean and tidy, showed him some jobs in process etc. Happy to take it there.
                    "Satisfaction guaranteed...."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                      I am pleased you are happy with the result. Personally I'm just happy you aren't my neighbour.

Comment

Working...
                      X