• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website Performance - do I just need a new laptop?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the %CPU when the machine is idle?

Was the machine always slow, or has it gradually become slow over the years?
    If the latter, in my experience, slow performance is generally caused by crapware filling up the auto-loading parts of windows, leading to the machine running all sorts of code in the background when doing things.

To fix this, run Avast - Performance - cleanup
    (although I don't think it is free).

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      Got an SSD. Problem is, there's fa disk space - 128GB & it fills up very quickly. Just checked - I had 70MB left. No wonder I could hear it thrashing away. Deleted a load of stuff & performance is a bit better.

Still can't stand all that render on scroll tulipe though.
      Not sure you can hear an ssd!

Also delete /disable all the pre installed crap you get it just uses resources.

As Sue said maybe just get a new one but ram is cheap so try adding more before you do.

Comment

Those specs are more those of a modern phone.

May as well bung the laptop in the bin and use the phone.

HTH

Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
          What is the %CPU when the machine is idle?

Was the machine always slow, or has it gradually become slow over the years?
          If the latter, in my experience, slow performance is generally caused by crapware filling up the auto-loading parts of windows, leading to the machine running all sorts of code in the background when doing things.

To fix this, run Avast - Performance - cleanup
          (although I don't think it is free).
          4%. I know what you mean about crapware - get to the same point after a couple of years with every machine I've had. May think about ditching Windows altogether & using linux as I hear that's not so susceptible to all the bloat.

Running AVG PS Tune Up since I have the paid version...

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Not sure you can hear an ssd!
          Oh yeah, good point. Must be the fan....

Don't know about you but one of the things I can't bear about Windows 8+ is this concept of there being the normal desktop applications as well as the metro apps & they both live in separate layers and none of the parallel apps are synchronised in terms of settings etc - e.g. I use the desktop version of IE sometimes but when I inadvertently launch IE Edge (as I do all the time), none of my bookmarks, settings etc from the destop version are there so I close it, switch back to the desktop & launch the other IE app. Drives me mad....

Comment

Also switch browser to Chrome

A lot of stuff now seems to be built using aws which just seems to run better on Chrome

Cannot think why.

Also I have noticed noticed with the increase in use of agile methodology which seems to lend itself to poor programming methodology then code is not optimised to run quickly.

Works fine if you're environment autoscales to cope with load but to save money many restrict the scaling so.....

Comment

+1

Comment

A lot of stuff now seems to be built using aws which just seems to run better on Chrome

Cannot think why.

Also I have noticed noticed with the increase in use of agile methodology which seems to lend itself to poor programming methodology then code is not optimised to run quickly.

Works fine if you're environment autoscales to cope with load but to save money many restrict the scaling so.....
                If you using one of the newer languages then in theory you don't need to optimise your code as you aren't fecking around with memory allocation.

However commonsense suggests profiling to see that you haven't written convoluted tulip it is a good idea...
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                  I notice QDOS have now updated their site to use this abomination & it's taken 20 minutes just to click through all the screens to renew my PL insurance.

Anyone else experiencing this sort of thing or is it time for a new machine?

I have a new laptop. It won't help you at all.

Comment

Pbkac hth bidi
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                      Grow up foxy.
                      Is that why you decided to give me bad rep on a 10 month old post?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X