• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reclaiming tax on charity shop purchases

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reclaiming tax on charity shop purchases

Not saying I'm desperate to save a few pennies, quite the opposite - I only wish I was more of a miser.

But I'm all in favour of aggressive tax avoidance and saving every penny that would otherwise go to HMR&C and mostly be wasted.

Now I spend a fair bit in charity shops, on nicknacks, books, and clothes, and what have you. I probably spend an average of £30 pounds a week in them.

I even bought a brand new pair of really nice slippers in one the other week, although I'd draw the line at obviously used everyday shoes (But even with those, maybe wellies or ski boots or something would be handy).

So anyway, I wondered if I could send the receipts to my accountant each year, and have this expenditure treated as tax-deductable. Why not?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not saying I'm desperate to save a few pennies, quite the opposite - I only wish I was more of a miser.

But I'm all in favour of aggressive tax avoidance and saving every penny that would otherwise go to HMR&C and mostly be wasted.

Now I spend a fair bit in charity shops, on nicknacks, books, and clothes, and what have you. I probably spend an average of £30 pounds a week in them.

I even bought a brand new pair of really nice slippers in one the other week, although I'd draw the line at obviously used everyday shoes (But even with those, maybe wellies or ski boots or something would be handy).

So anyway, I wondered if I could send the receipts to my accountant each year, and have this expenditure treated as tax-deductable. Why not?
    You are buying goods, not donating to charity.

IIRC, when you donate goods to charity you can get Gift Aid applied on the donation - so that is where the tax system gets involved.

Glad you're dressing appropriately to hang out with shauny in the Barnstaple 'Spoons.

Comment

As in knocked off your SAR? I don't think buying something counts as a charitable donation.

On the other hand, I gave a load of stuff to charity and they then emailed me to say how much in total it raised and I counted that as a donation for the purposes of my SAR

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        As in knocked off your SAR? I don't think buying something counts as a charitable donation.

On the other hand, I gave a load of stuff to charity and they then emailed me to say how much in total it raised and I counted that as a donation for the purposes of my SAR
        owly is an entitled Brexiteer who has been brought up to think he can have his cake and eat it

Comment

On a positive note, now we know who the Psycho Candy puppet master is
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

If you're really tight, you can just ask for the money back from them instead.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Are they wholly and exclusively for business?

For that reason, your double ended dildo was disallowed.

And ketchup can actually be eaten you know...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

(and if your accountant says you can claim for slippers please post details so we can all do likewise)

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Are they wholly and exclusively for business?

For that reason, your double ended dildo was disallowed.

And ketchup can actually be eaten you know...
                  Actually the dildo was allowed for that very purpose. Second hand from a charity shop though?

Comment

Hang on. Have I missed a trick on my SAR here.

So when I did some Just Giving Last year and signed up to National Trust and RHS Wisley are you saying I can put those through as charitable donations and get my tax reduced slightly?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X