Reclaiming tax on charity shop purchases Reclaiming tax on charity shop purchases
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,352

    Default Reclaiming tax on charity shop purchases

    Not saying I'm desperate to save a few pennies, quite the opposite - I only wish I was more of a miser.

    But I'm all in favour of aggressive tax avoidance and saving every penny that would otherwise go to HMR&C and mostly be wasted.

    Now I spend a fair bit in charity shops, on nicknacks, books, and clothes, and what have you. I probably spend an average of £30 pounds a week in them.

    I even bought a brand new pair of really nice slippers in one the other week, although I'd draw the line at obviously used everyday shoes (But even with those, maybe wellies or ski boots or something would be handy).

    So anyway, I wondered if I could send the receipts to my accountant each year, and have this expenditure treated as tax-deductable. Why not?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  2. #2

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not saying I'm desperate to save a few pennies, quite the opposite - I only wish I was more of a miser.

    But I'm all in favour of aggressive tax avoidance and saving every penny that would otherwise go to HMR&C and mostly be wasted.

    Now I spend a fair bit in charity shops, on nicknacks, books, and clothes, and what have you. I probably spend an average of £30 pounds a week in them.

    I even bought a brand new pair of really nice slippers in one the other week, although I'd draw the line at obviously used everyday shoes (But even with those, maybe wellies or ski boots or something would be handy).

    So anyway, I wondered if I could send the receipts to my accountant each year, and have this expenditure treated as tax-deductable. Why not?
    You are buying goods, not donating to charity.

    IIRC, when you donate goods to charity you can get Gift Aid applied on the donation - so that is where the tax system gets involved.

    Glad you're dressing appropriately to hang out with shauny in the Barnstaple 'Spoons.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  3. #3

    Super poster

    ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,401

    Default

    As in knocked off your SAR? I don't think buying something counts as a charitable donation.

    On the other hand, I gave a load of stuff to charity and they then emailed me to say how much in total it raised and I counted that as a donation for the purposes of my SAR

  4. #4

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    As in knocked off your SAR? I don't think buying something counts as a charitable donation.

    On the other hand, I gave a load of stuff to charity and they then emailed me to say how much in total it raised and I counted that as a donation for the purposes of my SAR
    owly is an entitled Brexiteer who has been brought up to think he can have his cake and eat it
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  5. #5

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB is a fount of knowledge

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,973

    Default

    On a positive note, now we know who the Psycho Candy puppet master is
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  6. #6

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    As in knocked off your SAR? I don't think buying something counts as a charitable donation.

    On the other hand, I gave a load of stuff to charity and they then emailed me to say how much in total it raised and I counted that as a donation for the purposes of my SAR
    If you're really tight, you can just ask for the money back from them instead.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  7. #7

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103,718

    Default

    Are they wholly and exclusively for business?

    For that reason, your double ended dildo was disallowed.

    And ketchup can actually be eaten you know...

  8. #8

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    8,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not saying I'm desperate to save a few pennies, quite the opposite - I only wish I was more of a miser.

    But I'm all in favour of aggressive tax avoidance and saving every penny that would otherwise go to HMR&C and mostly be wasted.

    Now I spend a fair bit in charity shops, on nicknacks, books, and clothes, and what have you. I probably spend an average of £30 pounds a week in them.

    I even bought a brand new pair of really nice slippers in one the other week, although I'd draw the line at obviously used everyday shoes (But even with those, maybe wellies or ski boots or something would be handy).

    So anyway, I wondered if I could send the receipts to my accountant each year, and have this expenditure treated as tax-deductable. Why not?
    (and if your accountant says you can claim for slippers please post details so we can all do likewise)

    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  9. #9

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Are they wholly and exclusively for business?

    For that reason, your double ended dildo was disallowed.

    And ketchup can actually be eaten you know...
    Actually the dildo was allowed for that very purpose. Second hand from a charity shop though?
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  10. #10

    My post count is Majestic

    MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    35,765

    Default

    Hang on. Have I missed a trick on my SAR here.

    So when I did some Just Giving Last year and signed up to National Trust and RHS Wisley are you saying I can put those through as charitable donations and get my tax reduced slightly?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •