Be careful what you design or build for your client Be careful what you design or build for your client - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 22

Super poster

bobspud is NOT a disguised employee

The problem with this is that no-one working on this project could have been unaware of what it was used for and why they were designing it.

However I do believe that every one up the chain from them should be locked in the same cell...

Contractor Among Contractors

tomtomagain 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by bobspud View Post
    The problem with this is that no-one working on this project could have been unaware of what it was used for and why they were designing it.

However I do believe that every one up the chain from them should be locked in the same cell...

Absolutely. This was not a "one-rogue-employee" situation.

They started off trying design an engine for the US market, realised they couldn't meet the targets, and then put a load of effort into identifying when it was being tested and altering the performance to cheat those tests.

That sort of activity is going to take a lot of people, from a lot of different disciplines colluding together for a long time. It didn't just happen by accident.

There would have been meetings, design reviews, proofs of concepts, trials, repeated testing, management sign-off and so on.

Here's the question though: Do you think you would have been strong enough to resist joining in?

The guy in jail is probably a decent, hard working chap.

If you worked in a team where everyone else had decided on a course of action then you have to be a pretty strong character to stand up and say "No". Especially when people more senior and experienced than you has decided it's the right course of action. Or you have all come to a group consensus on the decision.

Some things in Moderation

cojak is a fount of knowledge

Or hand in your resignation and quietly leave with a decent reference...

More fingers than teeth

greenlake has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    And are they lining up the solution architects, the test engineers and those that added the requirements to the project?

They've just made an example and a scapegoat out of that poor sod.

Super poster

bobspud is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomagain View Post
    If you worked in a team where everyone else had decided on a course of action then you have to be a pretty strong character to stand up and say "No". Especially when people more senior and experienced than you has decided it's the right course of action. Or you have all come to a group consensus on the decision.
    Got to be honest I've made a career out of being the one that points out the bloody obvious and walks and its cost me a few times but I'm not paid enough to stand by and watch the system benefit from something that could land me in tulip.

Contractor Among Contractors

tomtomagain 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by bobspud View Post
    Got to be honest I've made a career out of being the one that points out the bloody obvious and walks
    So you haven't made a career :-) You've walked.

It's interesting this whole "group-think" thing. When you say it out loud "Let's develop a way of cheating the engine tests" ... it's clearly wrong, yet a group of well educate and presumably honest people managed to convince themselves that it was an acceptable approach.

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

It's interesting this whole "group-think" thing. When you say it out loud "Let's develop a way of cheating the engine tests" ... it's clearly wrong, yet a group of well educate and presumably honest people managed to convince themselves that it was an acceptable approach.
    Thing is you are in the UK where we are skeptical of people in charge.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Double Godlike!

original PM is a fount of knowledge

Or could we make a device which recognises when a test is being run and lowers emissions.

And to an extent that is not cheating the test it is just making sure that during testing your engine gives off the lowest emissions.

Doesn't sound illegal now?

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Emotional intelligence. Noun. The capacity to be aware of, control, and express one's emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathically.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOne with low emotional intelligence View Post
    Also, there's no such thing as emotional intelligence.

As head of the VW's Diesel Competence unit in the US, Liang oversaw the software function that enabled the cars to cheat the emissions tests. He is also the most junior of the eight current and former VW executives that have been charged so far.
    So he was bang to rights, and other executives may still be charged.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

Double Godlike!

original PM is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Emotional intelligence. Noun. The capacity to be aware of, control, and express one's emotions, and to handle interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathically.

So he was bang to rights, and other executives may still be charged.
    Interesting the articles tries to imply he was just doing his job.

But as an executive he is responsible for the decisions and so all is well.