• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amsterdam hotels screwing happiness

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amsterdam hotels screwing happiness

Hey fellow mercenaries
    Starting a new gig in Amsterdam - properly via payroll company etc so watching my excellent rate evaporate right in front of me eyes - bigger problem however now is that I'm getting bleeding sky high rates for mediocre hotels in Amsterdam.

Is Amsterdam really that bad for hotels ? How do you do it ?
    Don't say air bnb - do you stay in other Dutch cities and commute in ? Trains good and fast and cheap? Parts of Amsterdam that are reasonable for hotels ? Or is it just that part of the year ? Enlighten please!

Shelling out 500 pounds a week on hotels on top of the gargantuan Dutch tax burden - looks like I may not end up keeping more than fifty percent of my loot after all

Help!

Is Amsterdam bad for hotels? Weed mecca of Europe. What do you think?

You worked all this out before you accepted the gig didn't you?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 29 August 2017, 19:02.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nope don't know what I was smoking! This was more a case of jumping ship from where I was - not knowing what I was getting myself entangled with.

Comment

Guess it's got to be General for this one.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Might be able to guess the company they have been calling for the same roles for weeks - the rate was so bad taking into account flights / hotels. I rejected

Comment

Your negotiation skills must be tulipe then?

Comment

£500 a week for a hotel isn't too bad for a big city. Also, given the current exchange rate it's not as many € as it used to be.
              How much were you hoping to spend?
              How many nights are you staying per week?
              Why are you ruling out Airbnb?
              Does your client have any preferred hotels where they have special rate?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
              X