• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cardiff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cardiff

Just landed a contract in the centre of Cardiff (Woo Hoo!).

Gonna have to do the Monday - Friday stopover as it's 100 miles from home so was wondering if anyone could suggest any places to look for accommodation.

Looking for something about 10 miles out with a decent cycle route into the city centre. Maybe a caravan site where I could get a caravan / chalet at a decent price would be ideal. Tried looking in Barry Island but those kinds of things seem limited there.

Over to you PC....

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Just landed a contract in the centre of Cardiff (Woo Hoo!).

Gonna have to do the Monday - Friday stopover as it's 100 miles from home so was wondering if anyone could suggest any places to look for accommodation.

Looking for something about 10 miles out with a decent cycle route into the city centre. Maybe a caravan site where I could get a caravan / chalet at a decent price would be ideal. Tried looking in Barry Island but those kinds of things seem limited there.

Over to you PC....
    Penarth? Tread Caerphilly.

Comment

Google Sully caravan parks. There's 3 of them.

Or there must be loads of airbnb available in the bay with the number of apartment blocks that have gone up.

Comment

Avoid Newport at all costs. Never felt so sorry for myself in my life before working in Newport.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Avoid Newport at all costs. Never felt so sorry for myself in my life before working in Newport.
          Was that before or after the Thistle Hotel Heathrow?

Comment

Have you considered commuting by train daily?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Was that before or after the Thistle Hotel Heathrow?
              I've never stayed there.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I've never stayed there.
                http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...n_England.html

Scooterscot
                Munich, Germany
                1 review
                “I couldn't even put it on expenses”
                Reviewed 16 September 2011
                Got a phone call at the beginning of the week, a client needed help with some mathematical models. Turns out there's no one left in the UK skilled enough so they called me in Munich.

Flew in to Heathrow and boy, I was fleeced left right and centre the moment my foot touched the ground. Talk about expensive?!! How do people do it?

I thought T5 looking smart I like it. Got a taxi to the Thistle hotel 2 miles away, £18.20!!!!!!! WT hell?!! I gave him a £20 and he gave me a look when I asked for change? Seriously? What a bunch of thieves. OK yes I'm from Scotland I'm bound to be a tight git, but £20 for 2 miles is taking the liberty.

The Thistle hotel, do not stay here! What a hole. I got chased out of the room by a wee mouse!! Seriously. Got a new room, it smelled. £115 for this hole and no breakfast.

The drive up to Oxford was pleasant enough but felt slow not being able to go over 70. Government needs to get that sorted. Nice countryside up that way.

Point of this rant is I'm well shocked how expensive the UK seems, February since I was back. The price I can accept but what you get for it no way matches the cost.

£115 without breakfast at Heathrow. The worst thing is that when I quoted the client, I forgot about expenses so had to pay for it myself.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserR..._England.html#

Comment

ja ja hear you - still I've never stayed there.

Guess you've never being tried for liable.

Comment

ja ja hear you - still I've never stayed there.

Guess you've never being tried for liable.
                    http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ip-oxford.html

My trip to Oxford
                    Got a phone call at the beginning of the week, a client needed help with some mathematical models. Turns out there's no one left in the UK skilled enough so they called the scooter in Munich.

As soon as the mentioned quantum computers they had my attention.

Flew in to Heathrow and boy, I was fleeced left right and centre the moment my foot touched the ground. Talk about expensive?!! How do people do it?

I thought T5 looking smart I like it. Got a taxi to the Thistle hotel 2 miles away, £18.20!!!!!!! WT hell?!! I gave him a £20 and he gave me a look when I asked for change? Seriously? What a bunch of thieves. OK yes I'm from Scotland I'm bound to be a tight git, but £20 for 2 miles is taking the liberty.

The Thistle hotel, do not stay here! What a hole. I got chased out of the room by a wee mouse!! Seriously. Got a new room, it smelled. £115 for this hole and no breakfast.

The drive up to Oxford was pleasant enough but felt slow not being able to go over 70. Government needs to get that sorted. Nice countryside up that way.

Point of this rant is I'm well shocked how expensive the UK seems, February since I was back. The price I can accept but what you get for it no way matches the cost.

£115 without breakfast at Heathrow

Comment

Working...
                    X