• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post-Contracting Life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always fancied carpentry, i think it fits in with my Jesus/god complex.

I know you said you can't jetset but how much money do you need to get by?

Comment

Why not land a nice cushy perm job with little/no commute and/or flexible hours, wfh etc.

For the car mechanic stuff, are you looking to make money from it or just to waste time doing something you enjoy? If it's the latter, buy some manuals and get your hands on an old banger from the scrap yard to practice on, fix it then sell it. Won't be economical given the amount of labor you invest, but it's free training. Once you get comfortable in your skills you can maybe offer free services to desperate people that can't afford a "proper" mechanic. Record your efforts and put them on youtube, you might even make some money from it, people watch all kind of crazy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Soul View Post
        Never had the need to pay for it bud. Even at 50
        I was suggesting a revenue generating option to fill your gap.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

I know you said you can't jetset but how much money do you need to get by?
          Not a lot, 400 notes a month to cover utility bills n stuff., missus buys the food. Can live of my savings, so money isn't be the problem, sitting around going stir crazy would be...hence need to do sommat. wouldn't mind being a postie, like exercise, being out n' about. Got to avoid the high-pressure delivery driver jobs though, fancied being Tesco groceries delivery bod...until I looked into it , no end of stress n crap goes with that job.

Comment

Not surprising. Most on here would want to nail you to a cross.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Not surprising. Most on here would want to nail you to a cross.
              As long as the nails/cross are made in Britain and not foreign EU muck, I'm happy.

Comment

Not a lot, 400 notes a month to cover utility bills n stuff., missus buys the food. Can live of my savings, so money isn't be the problem, sitting around going stir crazy would be...hence need to do sommat. wouldn't mind being a postie, like exercise, being out n' about. Got to avoid the high-pressure delivery driver jobs though, fancied being Tesco groceries delivery bod...until I looked into it , no end of stress n crap goes with that job.
                We have a deer park close by, national trust people looking after it. Something outdoors like that would suit me, though I worry I would do it for about 10 mins before getting bored and missing my computer.

I have a mate who doesn't like to work, he is a master of finding something to do. He learnt to play the guitar, he can cook pretty much anything, he likes metal detecting (along with history), making art (some of it is good). He is currently, helping a neighbor fix up his old VW camper van, he is doing the carpentry.

Perhaps its just a case of trying loads of things until you stick with something. 400 a month is nothing really so you have freedom to do what you want, well done you.

Comment

Hi

Think I'm getting close to finally downing tools and leaving IT contracting. For reasons unknown, as a senior PM with 30 years in the game I'm finding harder than ever to find a contract. I can handle this, the party had to end some time. And I am finding it more difficult than ever to tolerate the agents, who as we all know, make estate agents and politicians look virtuous by comparison.

The profession has been good to me over the years, both as a permie and as a freelancer, I really can't complain, about to turn 50 and I'm financially secure, no mortgage, can get by OK on my savings until I hit 55 and can get my grubby hands on my pension fund.

Anyway, reason for this post is to hopefully generate ideas for what I could consider doing instead. I'm not ready to sit around all day, can't jet off to see the world w/o a divorce (missus not ready to finish work for a fair few years yet)....so I'm looking for random ideas that I could explore for work outside IT.

Any forum contributors got any experiences of what they tried after contracting ? Did it work out ? I fancy something hands-on and practical. Really fancied car mechanic, alas no chance there, my investigations have confirmed that apprenticeships for a 50 year are somewhat thin on the ground LOL.

Anyhow, any random ideas, experiences, etc., would be welcome, they might help generate a thought or two because lack of imagination on my part is part of my challenge.

Cheers.
                  Northern Soul.
                  Try replacing your car's cam-belt and after six hours of bending over and with your hands working in zero clearance I think you will change your mind about being a mechanic.

There is no future in the UK other than investing in property and being a commercial and residential landlord.

Did you vote for Brexit?
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    Try replacing your car's cam-belt and after six hours of bending over and with your hands working in zero clearance I think you will change your mind about being a mechanic.

There is no future in the UK other than investing in property and being a commercial and residential landlord.

Did you vote for Brexit?
                    I suppose the OP could train as psychologist, seems no end of depressive people on here.

Comment

I suppose the OP could train as psychologist, seems no end of depressive people on here.

It's over subscribed.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X