• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post-Contracting Life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volunteering?

A friend of mine took up volunteering when she packed up work at 55. She's ended up becoming a part time store manager in Oxfam (paid) and loves it, can't imagine going back to a desk job.

My godfather used to do "drug running" as he called it - delivering prescriptions to the old/infirm folk who couldn't get to their local pharmacy. He loves a chat so his rounds would take all day but it was great for him and great for the people he visited. He sadly had to pack it in due to his own ill health.

There's a huge shortage of volunteers and there's bound to be an organisation who needs some help.

In that there London there's plenty of volunteering options at interesting places like the Science Museum (you can register via the website and they email when they have openings) and Chelsea Physic Garden (advertised on their facebook page/website) - it's not just the old and dribbly who need help. For a more international lean on volunteering, there's VSO who do placements overseas for set periods of time, many within your wife's acceptable limit.

Comment

Pinning most of my hopes on Golf....takes the whole day with a pint after.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        A friend of mine took up volunteering when she packed up work at 55. She's ended up becoming a part time store manager in Oxfam (paid) and loves it, can't imagine going back to a desk job.

My godfather used to do "drug running" as he called it - delivering prescriptions to the old/infirm folk who couldn't get to their local pharmacy. He loves a chat so his rounds would take all day but it was great for him and great for the people he visited. He sadly had to pack it in due to his own ill health.

There's a huge shortage of volunteers and there's bound to be an organisation who needs some help.

In that there London there's plenty of volunteering options at interesting places like the Science Museum (you can register via the website and they email when they have openings) and Chelsea Physic Garden (advertised on their facebook page/website) - it's not just the old and dribbly who need help. For a more international lean on volunteering, there's VSO who do placements overseas for set periods of time, many within your wife's acceptable limit.
        Yep there are tonnes of volunteering opportunities out there.

It's a case of working out what you may like doing, whether you like people and if you like people what age groups you like.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've got a dream about buying some land, giving up the booze and the one year contracts...

...or I'll just plant a vineyard, spend my days gardening and fiddling with an old car or two, then spend my evenings playing jazz and blues down at some local by the sea.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            I've got a dream about buying some land, giving up the booze and the one year contracts...
            You could write a song about that

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              You could write a song about that
              going to town and won't be late
              drive on down in my 88

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Why would you want to be on a site where you are not allowed to express your distasteful views?
                Because I'm a contractor, and sometimes want to discuss contracting stuff as well as boring politics, muslims, lefties, or Nigel Farage (hail that great man!).

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Soul View Post
                  Hobbies - classic cars (Volkswagens)
                  Build camper vans - Plenty of money in it apparently, buy a basic van, kit it out to a high standard, sell on at huge profit (along the lines of say (x)k for van, (x)k in parts, sell for 5(x)k.

Also I don't think "I'm too old to do this course" is correct? You're a punter, they want your money!
                  Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                  "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                    50? What kind of an age is that to pack up? You workshy fop.
                    Exactly - I'm not planning on paying my mortgage off until I'm 70 !

Comment

Working...
                    X