Post-Contracting Life Post-Contracting Life
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 49

Nervous Newbie

Northern Soul has no reputation

Default Post-Contracting Life

Hi

Think I'm getting close to finally downing tools and leaving IT contracting. For reasons unknown, as a senior PM with 30 years in the game I'm finding harder than ever to find a contract. I can handle this, the party had to end some time. And I am finding it more difficult than ever to tolerate the agents, who as we all know, make estate agents and politicians look virtuous by comparison.

The profession has been good to me over the years, both as a permie and as a freelancer, I really can't complain, about to turn 50 and I'm financially secure, no mortgage, can get by OK on my savings until I hit 55 and can get my grubby hands on my pension fund.

Anyway, reason for this post is to hopefully generate ideas for what I could consider doing instead. I'm not ready to sit around all day, can't jet off to see the world w/o a divorce (missus not ready to finish work for a fair few years yet)....so I'm looking for random ideas that I could explore for work outside IT.

Any forum contributors got any experiences of what they tried after contracting ? Did it work out ? I fancy something hands-on and practical. Really fancied car mechanic, alas no chance there, my investigations have confirmed that apprenticeships for a 50 year are somewhat thin on the ground LOL.

Anyhow, any random ideas, experiences, etc., would be welcome, they might help generate a thought or two because lack of imagination on my part is part of my challenge.

Cheers.
    Northern Soul.

My post count is Majestic

SueEllen is always on top

What are your hobbies? And notice I said hobbies plural.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk has reached the peak. Play again?

The missus had a similar problem. After she left her job she had a hole to fill so found something that's hands on. It's maybe not for everyone as she said it's a bit in her face at times. Why not ask her about it next time you book in.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 30th August 2017 at 10:22.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Nervous Newbie

Hobbies - classic cars (Volkswagens), love spending time working on my two babies, hence the notion of car mechanic , but be a professional requires formal training which alas is nigh on impossible to get at my age. Some pocket money to be earnt chauffeuring brides in my resored 66 camper however. That is on the radar

And travel, missus happy for me to go for away for a month or so which I'll likely. Just not five years

cheers

TPAFKAk2p2

mudskipper is always on top

We've got a 'mobile valet' who visits clientCo and charges £20 for a wash, polish and hoover round.

He's doing mine as we speak Might work for you if you like cars? Not gonna net you £600 a day though...

Contractor Among Contractors

PhiltheGreek - scorchio!

50? What kind of an age is that to pack up? You workshy fop.

Nervous Newbie

hare cleaning cars, indeed cleaning of any sort, think i'd rather embrace recruitment agents than do cleaning (although only just)

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
    50? What kind of an age is that to pack up? You workshy fop.
    if i can find something other than IT that I'd rather be doing then its absolutely bang on the right age to pack up.

Contractor Among Contractors

PhiltheGreek - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    if i can find something other than IT that I'd rather be doing then its absolutely bang on the right age to pack up.
    Ok then...

You could try becoming the patron of a several dozen national charities/organisations? I've got a few i'm trying to offload at the moment, as it happens. How about the Anglo-Swedish society - they seek to promote good relations between Sweden and Great Britain. And there are some cracking birds in Sweden to promote good relations with too (maybe for a month at a time).

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    The missus had a similar problem. After she left her job she had a hole to fill so found something that's hands on. It's maybe not for everyone as she said it's a bit in her face at times. Why not ask her about it next time you book in.
    Never had the need to pay for it bud. Even at 50