• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nice scam

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice scam

WFH today, land line rings. Odd number (50948894248). I assume it's a sales call from a far away land.

But, no, it's a cheerful Eastern European voice saying "Hi I need to speak with you urgently but I don't have enough credit, please call me back!" and then it cuts off.

I wonder how many people would call back and what they lose by doing so?

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    WFH today, land line rings. Odd number (50948894248). I assume it's a sales call from a far away land.

But, no, it's a cheerful Eastern European voice saying "Hi I need to speak with you urgently but I don't have enough credit, please call me back!" and then it cuts off.

+509 is Haiti, so it will be an expensive call, no matter what.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Voodoo people?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Hmm. They'd be better just letting the phone ring once and see how many people just phone back, seeing the missed call notification.

Comment

I was coming out of the GPO in Dublin last Sat. and the Roma-looking old bag thrust a piece of cardboard in my face that said:

"Today is my birthday, please give me €5.00"

Normally I ignore beggars politely but I was so taken aback with the cheek of this one I just told her to fuuck off.

Actually, I do give to beggars/homeless if they chat and tell you about themselves, and not just thrust an empty Starbucks cup at you going 'Uggghh'....

There was this chap on Grafton Street playing the Andalusian small pipes and he got a couple of euro cos he was good. Till my mrs dragged me away from talking to him because although I'd given him some coin, I'd probably cost him more in chatting to him as that stopped him playing....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            I was coming out of the GPO in Dublin last Sat. and the Roma-looking old bag thrust a piece of cardboard in my face that said:

Normally I ignore beggars politely but I was so taken aback with the cheek of this one I just told her to fuuck off.

Actually, I do give to beggars/homeless if they chat and tell you about themselves, and not just thrust an empty Starbucks cup at you going 'Uggghh'....

There was this chap on Grafton Street playing the Andalusian small pipes and he got a couple of euro cos he was good. Till my mrs dragged me away from talking to him because although I'd given him some coin, I'd probably cost him more in chatting to him as that stopped him playing....
            I think I spotted that. Did he give you a fiver to get rid of you?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              I think I spotted that. Did he give you a fiver to get rid of you?
              He was a nice chap! Actually I thought he was playing Uilleann pipes (which I love) at first till I got near then it was too late to do a 180.....

I'm still after a full set Uilleann BTW, no practice or half-sets for me, trouble is they're around €4-5000 a set for a proper set, not the crap out-of-tune and untunable *Paki-pipes on Ebay you see at £180...

*acceptable term in the piping community.....

Comment

He was a nice chap! Actually I thought he was playing Uilleann pipes (which I love) at first till I got near then it was too late to do a 180.....

I'm still after a full set Uilleann BTW, no practice or half-sets for me, trouble is they're around €4-5000 a set for a proper set, not the crap out-of-tune and untunable *Paki-pipes on Ebay you see at £180...

*acceptable term in the piping community.....
                Nice, I like the Northumbrian pipes myself. When I go old and mad I intend to take up the hurdy gurdy.

Comment

I still have bundles of Reich-marks that I take on holiday to hand out on those type of occasions.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    I think I spotted that.
                    From behind the cardboard?

Comment

Working...
                    X