• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weekend plans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Things you learn on CUK. Whatever happened to honest, upright citizens grafting for Queen & Country?
    They opened up the entrance requirements which let others in.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      Things you learn on CUK. Whatever happened to honest, upright citizens grafting for Queen & Country?
      Thatcher's no-such-thing-as-society cult of individualism. Now people will just calculate the best economic outcome with no concept of duty. At one end you've got PC with his benefit dodges, at another the too-big-to-fail banks, and in-between the contractors who are whining they've been stung after extracting their professional service fees as loans from an offshore trust, or whatever the dodge was.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Thatcher's no-such-thing-as-society cult of individualism. Now people will just calculate the best economic outcome with no concept of duty. At one end you've got PC with his benefit dodges, at another the too-big-to-fail banks, and in-between the contractors who are whining they've been stung after extracting their professional service fees as loans from an offshore trust, or whatever the dodge was.
        Those that quote Thatcher saying ‘there is no such thing as society’ can’t have read it in context:

"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it: 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society.

There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

I see no problem in this, and it applies as much today as it did then. It's certainly not about individualism, but personal responsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Jabbing BP with a pointy stick in my basement.
          Is that what you call your penis?
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

CHF16.80 for 2 beers in Basel 😲 On my way to the Cote d'Azur
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
            X