• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile phone for kids - do on own or part of a deal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile phone for kids - do on own or part of a deal

DD1 is going to secondary school later this week. Was going to get her a mobile phone. Was wondering if most people who have phones for their kids do it as part of a family deal (ie. all on one network) or just get a separate one?

Opinions?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    DD1 is going to secondary school later this week. Was going to get her a mobile phone. Was wondering if most people who have phones for their kids do it as part of a family deal (ie. all on one network) or just get a separate one?

Opinions?
    Whatever works out cheapest. Girls were on Vodafone as that got them a cheap iPhone 6, Mrs eek is on EE, I'm on 3 as I use a lot of data.

Girls are moving to BT or three next week. Not sure what to do with Mrs Eek as she doesn't use much data but there is little incentive nowadays for everyone to be on the same network - that's not how things work when even your cheapest contract has 200 free minutes and unlimited texts....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I know you've never smashed a screen but giving kids phones with glass screens? Why would you do that?

Kids got our hand me down Samsungs with a sim only contract to start off with. Just hunted around for the cheapest deal, which ended up being with a different network to ours. Worked OK for a while until peer pressure kicked in and they would only have the latest flagship ones
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I know you've never smashed a screen but giving kids phones with glass screens? Why would you do that?

Kids got our hand me down Samsungs with a sim only contract to start off with. Just hunted around for the cheapest deal, which ended up being with a different network to ours. Worked OK for a while until peer pressure kicked in and they would only have the latest flagship ones
        Because they haven't broken theirs either.... Also it got them iphones which allows me to identify roughly where they are if I need to....

Comment

Tesco mobile with their insurance plan - had to claim twice for my elder daughter's phone. £25 a time and got a brand new / refurbished phone the next day.

Covers loss, accidental damage, theft and calls.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Opinions?
            Kids not quite old enough yet, but plan is for old phone already owned and no longer in use and then PAYG tesco mobile so they can't run up a massive bill.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Tesco mobile with their insurance plan - had to claim twice for my elder daughter's phone. £25 a time and got a brand new / refurbished phone the next day.

Covers loss, accidental damage, theft and calls.
              given the cost you are probably better off with a protect your bubble insurance policy.

As for sim only contracts. Between the amazon gift cards and quidco cashback I suspect BT is going to be hard to beat if you have a bt landline... £16 a month for 20gb of data less £95 Amazon gift card + £60 from quidco if it works...

Comment

Eldest got a Samsung J3 for his 11th, with 3 sim-only. £150 for the phone outright, £9 per month for all you can eat minutes and texts and 4gb data.

Qustodio installed (and he knows it) so I can keep track of where he is and who texts him.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  Qustodio installed (and he knows it) so I can keep track of where he is and who texts him.
                  Do kids still text these days? I'd have thought it was all SC / Viber / kik / WhatsApp rather than SMS
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Do kids still text these days? I'd have thought it was all SC / Viber / kik / WhatsApp rather than SMS
                    Its all snapchat which makes "policing" even harder as there is no way of seeing these snaps, the photos arent stored on the phone and can't be automagically uploaded to icloud for photo sharing

I suppose its all about trust

Comment

Working...
                    X