• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

B&Bs & places to lodge near central Bristol (with parking)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely Keynsham - not even 10 minutes from BTM, ditto Bath & a lot of good pubs for a small place.

You'll also be ahead of the traffic on Friday afternoon assuming you're heading south.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      Definitely Keynsham - not even 10 minutes from BTM, ditto Bath & a lot of good pubs for a small place.

You'll also be ahead of the traffic on Friday afternoon assuming you're heading south.
      Newport? Only a short distance from Bristol by train, and it's quite reasonably priced. About 4 pounds single on the train.

There are quite a few pubs and cafes in which to unwind after a tough day. One local quirk is that you might be offered frozen joint of beef by locals known cryptically as "grafters" - at a heavily discounted price. Check with accomodation on cooking facilities.

Comment

The residential area around Redland station is nice. 30 minute walk into town with Gloucester road nearby for shops etc. Short train journey into temple meads in case of rain.

Comment

Totterdown and Bedminster aren't bad. Totterdown is more middle class, Bedminster is more working class, Southville (the North side of North Street) is now called lower Clifton I believe. Shops and stuff are OK around there, easy walk to TM.

I would be more tempted to go north of the city centre though as others have said, up Gloucester Road and into Montpelier (make sure you call it mont-pell-ee-urr) when you get there, if you pronounce it the French way people will laugh at you. Don't worry about St Pauls, you can walk through there safely enough if you don't give off the smell of fear.

I often wish I was still in Bristol, amazing place.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Totterdown and Bedminster aren't bad. Totterdown is more middle class, Bedminster is more working class, Southville (the North side of North Street) is now called lower Clifton I believe. Shops and stuff are OK around there, easy walk to TM.

I would be more tempted to go north of the city centre though as others have said, up Gloucester Road and into Montpelier (make sure you call it mont-pell-ee-urr) when you get there, if you pronounce it the French way people will laugh at you. Don't worry about St Pauls, you can walk through there safely enough if you don't give off the smell of fear.

I often wish I was still in Bristol, amazing place.
            Trouble is that Owly will be wearing his Faragiste brownshirt uniform.

I love Bristol too. Delighted when family moved there so I get to visit once or twice a year.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Trouble is that Owly will be wearing his Faragiste brownshirt uniform.

I love Bristol too. Delighted when family moved there so I get to visit once or twice a year.
              With monocle and quivering 'tache? The yardies will be all over him

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                With monocle and quivering 'tache? The yardies will be all over him
                He'll have Jacob Rees Mogg's nanny body guarding him.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Had an interview on Friday for a clientco very near Bristol Temple Meads station.

If offered the gig (which I won't know until at least Wednesday) I'll almost certainly accept it, which brings me to the question. ..

As I don't fancy spending a tenner a day in a long-stay car park, I'll be looking for a B&B for the first couple of weeks and thereafter, if all goes well, Monday-to-Thursday lodgings in a private house.

(I don't do rail commuting, and anyway from where I live that would be at least as expensive as staying in local lodgings, and far more time-consuming.)

So does anyone familiar with Bristol have ideas on nice areas as close as possible (within say a half an hour's walk) to Temple Meads?

Likewise, areas to avoid? (I know St Pauls is one of the latter!)

Looking at Google Maps, it seems like somewhere just south of the Avon, e.g. Bedminster, Victoria Park, or Totterdown, would be ideal distance wise. But are these districts crime-ridden war zones?

The "nice area" needn't be full of vibrant pubs and restaurants and all that, just residential streets where there's a good chance that when I leave the house in the morning my car will still be there, with all its wheels.

TIA
                  I paid £22 to park in Cardiff Yesterday : A mistake I don't intend to repeat. Have now discovered the early bird option - in before 9am and it's £5.50 pd.

In Bristol you can park in Gardiner Haskins for £40 per week.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

is that Keynsham; K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      is that Keynsham; K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M
                      Yes, Horace.

Comment

Working...
                      X