• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

4 British Neo-Nazis Arrested

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    I'm just worried that the saboteurs and enemies of the people are next in line. Don't want my collar felt next time I'm up in Newry for cheap booze, smokey coal and fireworks.
    First they came for the permies, but I did not speak out, for I was not a permie.
    Then they came for the recruiters, but I did not speak out, for I was not a recruiter.
    Then they came for the HMRC inspectors, but I did not speak out, for I was not an HMRC inspector.
    Then they came for me.

And everyone laughed.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      But surely they were arrested for thinking about committing acts of terrorism, because apparently that's illegal now.

George Orwell must be laughing in his grave.
      It sounds as if they were arrested for membership of a proscribed (fascist) organisation. Orwell was a committed anti-fascist.

Orwell would more likely be chuckling at Theresa May and the Daily Mail.

Nearly all children nowadays were horrible. What was worst of all was that by means of such organizations as the Spies they were systematically turned into ungovernable little savages, and yet this produced in them no tendency whatever to rebel against the discipline of the Party. On the contrary, they adored the Party and everything connected with it…. All their ferocity was turned outwards, against the enemies of the State, against foreigners, traitors, saboteurs, thought-criminals. It was almost normal for people over thirty to be frightened of their own children.

Comment

It sounds as if they were arrested for membership of a proscribed (fascist) organisation. Orwell was a committed anti-fascist.
        If you are a civil servant, police officer, in the army, teacher or NHS worker you need to be careful of what organisations you join as you are spied on.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If you are a civil servant, police officer, in the army, teacher or NHS worker you need to be careful of what organisations you join as you are spied on.
          Everyone should be careful of joining illegal organisations.

Comment

Everyone should be careful of joining illegal organisations.
            But what makes it illegal?

Not that I'm condoning these Nation Action idiots, but we need to be much more careful of arbitrary classifications of what is illegal or not merely based upon whether or nor you agree with something.

Remember, one man's terrorist (or fascist) is another man's freedom fighter. Also remember that freedom of speech (if we care about that) is not defending the speech you agree with, but the speech that you don't.

Although, I fear that this is all rather the point, isn't it? Crush the dissenting voices and force everyone to toe the party line. This is exactly how dictatorships are formed.

Comment

The fact that it breaks the law of the land.
              HTH.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Not that I'm condoning these Nation Action idiots, but we need to be much more careful of arbitrary classifications of what is illegal or not merely based upon whether or nor you agree with something.

Remember, one man's terrorist (or fascist) is another man's freedom fighter. Also remember that freedom of speech (if we care about that) is not defending the speech you agree with, but the speech that you don't.

Although, I fear that this is all rather the point, isn't it? Crush the dissenting voices and force everyone to toe the party line. This is exactly how dictatorships are formed.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrori..._organisations

The British government has designated 58 organisations as terrorist and banned them. 44 of these organisations were banned under the Terrorism Act of 2000. Two of these were also banned under the Terrorism Act of 2006 for "glorifying terrorism." Other than the far-right neo-Nazi National Action, the other fourteen organisations operate (for the most part) in Northern Ireland, and were banned under previous legislation.
                So National Action (UK) is the only proscribed fascist organisation.

Clearly 'not agreeing with something' is not the basis. Otherwise there would be many more banned organisations.

HTH

Comment

so not remain voters then..
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

So National Action (UK) is the only proscribed fascist organisation. Clearly 'not agreeing with something' is not the basis. Otherwise there would be many more banned organisations. HTH
                    Give it time. This is the thin end of the wedge.

Also:

The British government has designated 58 organisations as terrorist and banned them. 44 of these organisations were banned under the Terrorism Act of 2000. Two of these were also banned under the Terrorism Act of 2006 for "glorifying terrorism."
                    I count 44 banned organisations there. I wonder how many of them have actually committed an act of terror as opposed to merely spouted some nonsense about it either in public or online. The two that were banned for "glorifying terrorism" sounds dangerously like that to me.

We really are moving closer and closer to a world where you simply can't speak out against the prevailing groupthink. Like how criticising some of the state of Isreal's treatment of Palestine is branded as simply "anti-semitic", and that shuts the whole discussion down.

Be afraid, be very afraid.
                    Last edited by billybiro; 5 September 2017, 13:53.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      The fact that it breaks the law of the land.
                      HTH.
                      And you know what the law is, don't you?

It's still technically illegal to walk down the street carrying a plank of wood. Or to handle a salmon in "suspicious" circumstances. Or even to be drunk in a pub.

All fine laws every one of them, I'm sure.

Or perhaps some laws should never have been made "law" in the first place?

Comment

Working...
                      X