• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Saving more on VAT and corporation tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My advice is leave this forum and join in a more intelligent discussion group. One where the only knobs are on the doors.
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by abc111 View Post
      nah! he's too busy to advise me in details! i have him as he's cheaper...
      You should find yourself a new accountant as soon as possible.

Originally posted by abc111 View Post
      there are accountants who claim that they will make sure that you take away 90% of your income...
      These accountants will definitely make sure they take away more than 90% of your income....

Comment

Yes you can OP, give me all your money and I will give you 91% of it back, better than 90%! HTHBIDI

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Where do you think it is?

If I had a pound for every request to move this thread, I'd have £1.20 right now. Tax free.
          Remember, only 90% of it is tax-free...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            If I had a pound for every request to move this thread, I'd have £1.20 right now. Tax free.
            If you send it to me, I'll loan it back to you and you'll pay no tax. My fee for this service is £2.50 per transaction. PM me for details.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Corporation Tax Notification

Good Evening

I apologise in advance if this question turns out to be quite basic, but I do need to find out the answer, I have searched here but haven't found an answer so here goes:

My Accountant works for the same firm my LC is registered with and has been with me for almost the duration (three years) since I set the LC up. I do the VAT returns every quarter as usual and am fully paid up on that, so that isn't my issue.

I have been chasing my Accountant on and off for approximately the last 18 months for a statement of CT for 2015, 2016 and now for 2017 so that I can pay it and have done with it, I have the money in a separate account so I am not trying to minimise or avoid anything here (I have read the thread and have noted the understandably low tolerance for shade).

Whenever I get anything by mail from HMRC I file it so I was astonished last Friday to see my Accountant send me copies of CT advice slips from HMRC that I had never laid eyes on before, covering 2015 and 2016 (despite my asking him for this on several occasions as detailed above, and being told 'we will use the CIS to minimise the CT bill if that's what you choose' so I figured I would rather make one payment rather than overpaying and waiting for a refund of CIS.

SO after all that, my question is this:

Do HMRC notify the individual LC owner at their home address of the size of the bill etc. or do they merely send the CT statements/payment demands to the registered company address (i.e. my Accountant's place of business)?

I find it difficult to believe that HMRC, if their policy is to notify the individual LC owner at their home address, would fail to do so not once but twice (and maybe a third time this year) in my case. So my inclination is to believe that my accountant is a useless sack of tulip who will be dumped from a great height in the very near future. HMRC want to charge me several £100 as a result of late/failure to pay CT for the previous two years. A fine which I lay completely at his door as I have the means to pay the outstanding tax bill.

I have been asking him on and off for the past 18 months about this CT issue and have not had a satisfactory answer from him, if it turns out that I am being fined for an issue not of my own making there will shortly be one less useless accountant to worry about

Any advice will be welcome

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by Ch0pper View Post
                Good Evening

>SNIP<

I have been chasing my Accountant on and off for approximately the last 18 months for a statement of CT for 2015, 2016 and now for 2017

>SNIP<

I have been asking him on and off for the past 18 months about this CT issue and have not had a satisfactory answer from him, if it turns out that I am being fined for an issue not of my own making there will shortly be one less useless accountant to worry about

Oops. You're responsible, your accountant isn't.

3 years with no CT????? Really?????
                And it's someone else's fault???

You can sack your accountant. Who's going to sack you?

As for advice. I suggest you cough up sharpish. How much? You may need another accountant, or better than that pay more than you think and get a rebate once it's calculated.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  Oops. You're responsible, your accountant isn't.

3 years with no CT????? Really?????
                  And it's someone else's fault???

You can sack your accountant. Who's going to sack you?

As for advice. I suggest you cough up sharpish. How much? You may need another accountant, or better than that pay more than you think and get a rebate once it's calculated.

Thank you.

You haven't actually read the post through, based on your answer. Did you miss the part where I said, more than once, that I had been asking my accountant about the outstanding CT bill??????

My question remains, do HMRC notify me via letter to my home address (which they have on file)or do they only notify the registered address of my LC?

FYI I know exactly how much I owe and I have no issue with the amount or in paying it, my issue is with the responsibility of notification. I received nothing from HMRC for either year.

So either they have not notified me for whatever reason, or hey don't have to and the obligation is with my Accountant, and my Accountant has failed to notify me, because he is a simpleton.

When your CT bill arrives is it direct from HMRC or via your accountant?

Comment

You haven't actually read the post through, based on your answer. Did you miss the part where I said, more than once, that I had been asking my accountant about the outstanding CT bill??????
                    Yes I read it.

My question remains, do HMRC notify me via letter to my home address (which they have on file)or do they only notify the registered address of my LC?
                    Company address only.

FYI I know exactly how much I owe and I have no issue with the amount or in paying it, my issue is with the responsibility of notification. I received nothing from HMRC for either year.
                    Then why haven't you paid it?

So either they have not notified me for whatever reason, or hey don't have to and the obligation is with my Accountant, and my Accountant has failed to notify me, because he is a simpleton.
                    No obligation is with your accountant (simpleton or not, but if you know he's a simpleton whay have you let this slip?). You're the director.

When your CT bill arrives is it direct from HMRC or via your accountant?
                    Neither. I get a final set of accounts from the accountant and pay before HMRC even know how much I owe them.

You've nowhere to hide on this one. Your accountant might be a twat, but he's YOUR accountant. It's your responsibility.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      Yes I read it.

Company address only.

Then why haven't you paid it?

No obligation is with your accountant (simpleton or not, but if you know he's a simpleton whay have you let this slip?). You're the director.

Neither. I get a final set of accounts from the accountant and pay before HMRC even know how much I owe them.

You've nowhere to hide on this one. Your accountant might be a twat, but he's YOUR accountant. It's your responsibility.

This was all I wanted to know. Thank you. This means the onus is on my accountant to communicate to me how much I owe, and he has failed to do so.

You can keep the rest of the condescension, pouring that on took time out of your life that you can never get back.

Comment

Working...
                      X