• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Talking about a chip on the shoulder

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Didn't realise the Chinese had street cred.

Must go tell my Chinese mates who find people ignore the fact they are a minority and who also suffer both overt and covert racial abuse like this.
    The Chinese bloke at the local takeaway is not your mate.

Even if you say "number 69 please, mate".

Comment

dear oh dear, that took a while.

mods asleep then?????

Comment

Funny the worst racism I have seen in this country, and I have been around a lot in different communities, was within the Indian outsourcers both caste on caste amongst themselves and anti white British people. Funny I never see this called out for what it is in the mainstream media.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
          Funny the worst racism I have seen in this country, and I have been around a lot in different communities, was within the Indian outsourcers both caste on caste amongst themselves and anti white British people. Funny I never see this called out for what it is in the mainstream media.
          It won't be.

Everyone I know who was brought up fully or partly in London has seen it.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
            TBH I'm surprised it's not worse given how we bled their country dry over 2 centuries.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              TBH I'm surprised it's not worse given how we bled their country dry over 2 centuries.
              Bollocks. We rescued them from their complete subjugation by the muslim Mughals, who for a good two or three hundred years had controlled the whole of what is now India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I've rescued a few of them from being eaten by tigers too.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Bollocks. We rescued them from their complete subjugation by the muslim Mughals, who for a good two or three hundred years had controlled the whole of what is now India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan.
                  Did you even read your own link, you ignoramus? Your knowledge of history is even worse than your maths ability, if that's possible.

"The Mughal Empire began a period of proto-industrialization,[19] and Mughal India became the world's largest economic power, with 24.4% of world GDP,[20] and the world leader in manufacturing,[21] producing 25% of global industrial output up until the 18th century.[22] The Mughal Empire is considered "India's last golden age"[23]"

The Mughal Empire did not try to intervene in the local societies during most of its existence, but rather balanced and pacified them through new administrative practices[26][27] and diverse and inclusive ruling elites,[28] leading to more systematic, centralised, and uniform rule.[29] Traditional and newly coherent social groups in northern and western India, such as the Marathas, the Rajputs, the Pashtuns, the Hindu Jats and the Sikhs, gained military and governing ambitions during Mughal rule, which, through collaboration or adversity, gave them both recognition and military experience.[30][31][32][33]

The Muslims of that period had not quite lost the dregs of the advanced civilisation they possessed in early centuries.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Did you even read your own link, you ignoramus? Your knowledge of history is even worse than your maths ability, if that's possible.

"The Mughal Empire began a period of proto-industrialization,[19] and Mughal India became the world's largest economic power, with 24.4% of world GDP,[20] and the world leader in manufacturing,[21] producing 25% of global industrial output up until the 18th century.[22] The Mughal Empire is considered "India's last golden age"[23]"

The Mughal Empire did not try to intervene in the local societies during most of its existence, but rather balanced and pacified them through new administrative practices[26][27] and diverse and inclusive ruling elites,[28] leading to more systematic, centralised, and uniform rule.[29] Traditional and newly coherent social groups in northern and western India, such as the Marathas, the Rajputs, the Pashtuns, the Hindu Jats and the Sikhs, gained military and governing ambitions during Mughal rule, which, through collaboration or adversity, gave them both recognition and military experience.[30][31][32][33]

The Muslims of that period had not quite lost the dregs of the advanced civilisation they possessed in early centuries.
                    Believe what you want, Sas, but I doubt if many non-Muslim Indians (or probably muslims ones for that matter) would agree.

Here's another link:

2003-05-23 Decline and fall of the Mughal empire

The Mughals effectively ruled India for about 150 years during the 16th and 17th centuries, a period roughly comparable with that of the British Raj. On the whole, comparisons favour the latter. The British bequeathed India an impressive network of communications, a legal system and viable administration, a tradition of democratic government that has survived, battered but unbroken.

When Mughal power dwindled, the subcontinent degenerated into a patchwork of warring fiefs, a chaos that offered easy pickings for predatory European imperialists. The Taj Mahal, Shah Jahan's great masterpiece, may compare favourably with Edwin Lutyens's palace in New Delhi, but after the death of Aurangzeb many of the Mughal monuments crumbled; it took an English viceroy to rescue some of them from dereliction.

The Mughals failed because they made little, if any, effort to drag India out of the Middle Ages. ...
                    Also, notice how I used a "quote" box rather than just copying and pasting straight into my post.

That is something you should learn as well, so readers can separate the quoted part(s) from your ramblings
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      some re-write of history wibble
                      I doubt the Mughals managed to let 2 million Bengalis die of famine on their watch.
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal_famine_of_1943
                      In fact famine was pretty much unknown before the British came.

This rewrite/ignoring of history has much to answer for when it comes to understanding current British behaviour IMO.

But history matters not, or not as much as the present.
                      And in the present, the worm has turned and if the boot is not quite yet on the other foot, it will be (to mix metaphors):
                      India to demand MORE immigration as part of post-Brexit trade deal | World | News | Express.co.uk

UK growing at 1% post Brexit, India at 6-7%. What's going to happen in 20 years, do you think?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X