• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

49% support universal basic income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    There is a vast number of jobs that are on the edge of doom.
    It's going to get interesting for sure. I think I'll have snuffed it before it gets really interesting to the level you speak of.

(Even as a kid, I always thought I was born about 50 years too early to see the really good stuff)

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      Then why do we have a deficit? Can't we just print enough money and pay it off immediately, thereby saving the country billions in interest repayments?

Bingo! I think you've got it. Drop a note to Phil Hammond immediately!
      Even if you told them they wouldn't listen, I don't think the current lot have any appreciation for macroeconomics, seven years to recover from a recession is ridiculous.

Comment

Then why do we have a deficit? Can't we just print enough money and pay it off immediately, thereby saving the country billions in interest repayments?

Bingo! I think you've got it. Drop a note to Phil Hammond immediately!

you are mixing up deficit and debt, as the politicians have encouraged you to do

the national debt is around 2 trillion quid, plus a lot of things not on the books like PFI buildings we need to pay for one way or another, privatised ex public sector companies pension fund guarantees, and so on

not easily paid off

the deficit is just how much the national debt is going up, and the supposed success of getting this down is laughable considering how much the national debt is still going up

the country itself is not that rich, as a nation we are in a lot of debt, they just count the wealth of the richest people living here to make the bold claim we are one of the richest countries when in practise the richest few percent could up sticks and move country at short notice leaving the remaining population with the national debt to worry about

Comment

Originally posted by tiggat View Post
          Someone's been reading up on their A level economics
          wish I did do economics at A-Level . . . did English literature instead

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
            you are mixing up deficit and debt, as the politicians have encouraged you to do
            Thanks for the correction, I knew what I meant!

But we can't just print money to pay off the debt, was my point, as I'm sure you'd agree.

Comment

another point - what would be the countries immigration policy if you had a UBI?

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                Nah. Micawber had the A level economics syllabus down to a tee. The other 2 years was just window dressing.

Comment

Scotland, for example?
                  Scotland is a country? Huh.

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                    Economists are no more use than a high priestess reading runes...

One might argue that readin pig entrails has more integrity...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      The only works in countries with a strong economy.
                      I'm all in favour of it, because it's definitely the way of the future as most meaningful jobs will evaporate over the coming decades and not be replaced except by make-work jobs that aren't economically essential.

(The full employment we supposedly have now is just in a matter of speaking a deceptively bright and sunny evening. But before long, jobs wise, dusk will be upon us and then eternal night )

But universal benefits also only work in countries in complete control of their borders, and able and willing to promptly identify and sling out illegal immigrants.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X