• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is undertaking acceptable for cyclists?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Pedestrian dies after Oxford Street cyclist crash

A 73-year-old woman has died after being struck by a cyclist on London's Oxford Street.

Pedestrian dies after Oxford Street cyclist crash - BBC News
    And?

The cyclist hasn't been arrested for knocking her over.

If you knock an old person over in a car - and it is normally an old person - who decides not to use a pedestrian crossing correctly, then if you stop but aren't drunk, otherwise intoxicated or clearly speeding, and don't behave like a complete dick you are likely not to get arrested let alone prosecuted.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      I can't believe the way some people take their lives in their hands riding through the middle of Bristol every morning. Some of those roundabouts are deathtraps for cycles & I've even seen them towing kids in buggies.

Stupid really because there's no need - the pavements are dual use but I guess they CBA to navigate all the pelican crossings to get across safely.
      Dual use pavements are a terrible idea.

My average speed when having a leisurely cycle home is around 15Km/h if I'm in a bit of a rush rush I can hit 30 easily with bursts a bit faster if needed.

I weigh 85Kg, the bike, laptop bag etc easily round that up to 100Kg travelling at ~ 20Km/h.

That's 100Kg at 12Mph... fast enough and heavy enough to do some damage to us both...

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Cycling: Groups call for action on 'car-dooring' - BBC News

If I as a driver undertake another vehicle I am in the wrong, why is it encouraged for cyclists to do the opposite of all other road users.
        Well, no.

If you are in crawling/congested traffic and under the speed its perfectly fine to undertake, for example on a three lane motorway in a slow moving jam you would not sit stationary in lane one with a massive gap in front of you because lane two wasn't moving..

I would suggest that if a bike is undertaking you and you are not in slow moving traffic that you are either driving far too slowly or they are breaking the speed limit *

* Very unlikely unless its a very low limit or you're sharing the road with Bradley Wiggins.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Pedestrian dies after Oxford Street cyclist crash

A 73-year-old woman has died after being struck by a cyclist on London's Oxford Street.

Pedestrian dies after Oxford Street cyclist crash - BBC News
          Yeah, but when you look at that in more detail than just the headline you will see that he was riding a track bike (no front brake) which is not legally allowed to be used on the roads... If I was driving a car with 50% of the brakes not working I'd get f*cked for running a pensioner over too!

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
            Yeah, but when you look at that in more detail than just the headline you will see that he was riding a track bike (no front brake) which is not legally allowed to be used on the roads... If I was driving a car with 50% of the brakes not working I'd get f*cked for running a pensioner over too!
            Where does it say this guy was riding a track bike?

Likewise during Ride London they stipulate what you must have on your bike and wear on your person as anyone who volunteers, like me, can call the cyclist out.

Watching the London Marathon this year with friends, we had to tell idiots not to cross the road in front of the runners.
            Last edited by SueEllen; 15 September 2017, 19:59.

Comment

Dual use pavements are a terrible idea.

My average speed when having a leisurely cycle home is around 15Km/h if I'm in a bit of a rush rush I can hit 30 easily with bursts a bit faster if needed.

I weigh 85Kg, the bike, laptop bag etc easily round that up to 100Kg travelling at ~ 20Km/h.

That's 100Kg at 12Mph... fast enough and heavy enough to do some damage to us both...
              Couldn't agree more.

Though most cyclists in my area and me, myself, do the best not to run people over.

Unfortunately dumb walkers and groups of people are a fecking menace on shared paths.

I have told off people for not paying attention or taking up the entire path whether walking, running or cycling simply because I tend to move faster than lots of people. Teenagers and older people particularly older women are the most clueless.

Comment

Wrong story, that was the hipster muppet on Old Street.

This is a separate incident on Oxford Street. No details released yet as to exactly what happened.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Where does it say this guy was riding a track bike?

Likewise during Ride London they stipulate what you must have on your bike and wear on your person as anyone who volunteers, like me, can call the cyclist out.

Watching the London Marathon this year with friends, we had to tell idiots not to cross the road in front of the runners.
                  Sorry, Looking at it now, its not the same case, the one I was talking about was not a pensioner :

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...his-track-bike
                  Last edited by Snarf; 15 September 2017, 20:53.

Comment

Sorry, Looking at it now, its not the same case, the one I was talking about was not a pensioner :

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...his-track-bike
                    Yeah well he is a Muppet and I'm being polite.

Comment

Working...
                    X