• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyon tried wingsuit flying?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I do believe the guy who did this is now dead.
    Most of the videos you'll see of these death defying stunts you'll find that death caught up with the protagonist in the end - and usually not a long time after.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k

"Grinding the Crack"

Look at the shadows at 1:26

And the same point from a static camera at 1:40
      Jeb is one of the lucky ones - he managed to survive flying straight into the ground
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5nlOdxZt_4

Comment

Re surviving falls from sky scrapers, maybe the answer lies in personal airbags. Apparently motorcyclists can now buy clothing with airbags that deploy when they crash.

As a typical sports bike's top speed is greater then typical terminal velocity of a person falling from a tall building, if those airbags are designed for the person to survive a crash at that speed then they should also survive a fall if there was such kit to put on at the upper floors and roof of sky scrapers.

One for mythbusters to try out.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          Re surviving falls from sky scrapers, maybe the answer lies in personal airbags. Apparently motorcyclists can now buy clothing with airbags that deploy when they crash.

As a typical sports bike's top speed is greater then typical terminal velocity of a person falling from a tall building, if those airbags are designed for the person to survive a crash at that speed then they should also survive a fall if there was such kit to put on at the upper floors and roof of sky scrapers.

One for mythbusters to try out.
          I doubt this would work. A motorcyclists generally hits something that will crumple a bit and/or go skidding along the ground and slow down relatively slowly. Someone jumping of a building is doing to hit the tarmac that does not move much.

There have been suicide attempts by people jumping off tall building only to walk away because they land on top of a car though.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Makes me feel queezy just looking at that!

Comment

Originally posted by Hairlocks View Post
              I doubt this would work. A motorcyclists generally hits something that will crumple a bit and/or go skidding along the ground and slow down relatively slowly. Someone jumping of a building is doing to hit the tarmac that does not move much.

There have been suicide attempts by people jumping off tall building only to walk away because they land on top of a car though.

Maybe something that encapsulated them in a big ball like those you can roll down hills inside. To avoid the person smashing against the side and therefore ground when making contact, have it filled with bubble wrap with a space in the middle for a person. Simple.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Wing suit flying looks insanely dangerous, and I can't imagine the average IT contractor being into it.

I wondered idly if someone trapped on an upper floor of a skyscraper, like the unfortunate people above the flames in the twin towers during 9/11, would have any chance of surviving had they been able to don a wing suit and jump from a window or the roof.

I would imagine they'd have to build up quite a speed before being able to level off, and the biggest risk would be crashing into an obstacle such as another building before they could glide safely to the ground.
                The correct English way to do it is in the manner of that pioneer of human flight: Eilmer of Malmesbury. Give it a go, and if you survive, you mind lend the suit to David Davis, to see if the UK can get away with a couple of broken legs after it goes over the cliff edge.

Comment

Anyon tried wingsuit flying?
                  I suspect its not really something you try... you either succeed or you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                    I suspect its not really something you try... you either succeed or you don't!
                    Wise words.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      Maybe something that encapsulated them in a big ball like those you can roll down hills inside. To avoid the person smashing against the side and therefore ground when making contact, have it filled with bubble wrap with a space in the middle for a person. Simple.
                      Zorbing

Is great!!!
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X