• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I survived Hurricane Irma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Friends of ours were in Orlando throughout. They were in a hi-rise which was of fairly solid construction. The whole building was moving and the rain coming in through the closed windows...

The power of such a storm is incomprehensible unless you've been through one.
    Totally this. We were out in Mexico when hurricane Kenna hit us. They had the buildings strapped down with seat belt straps and everything. There were cows, cars you name it flying past the windows. I've never seen anything like it. By the time the let us go to the airport it was utter devastation. Very sobering experience.

I'm out in Vegas and there are loads of people here escaping the hurricane. There aren't many bars where someone is in tears about what's going on down there.

But as long as Psychotwat is ok then everything is OK I guess
    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 September 2017, 10:17.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      I just hope he didn't experience disruption to his travel plans and miss his signing on day.
      Nope - first BA flight out on tuesday was the one we were booked on anyway.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Nope - first BAU flight out on tuesday was the one we were booked on anyway.
        FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Totally this. We were out in Mexico when hurricane Kenna hit us. They had the buildings strapped down with seat belt straps and everything. There were cows, cars you name it flying past the windows. I've never seen anything like it. By the time the let us go to the airport it was utter devastation. Very sobering experience.

I'm out in Vegas and there are loads of people here escaping the hurricane. There aren't many bars where someone is in tears about what's going on down there.

But as long as Psychotwat is ok then everything is OK I guess
          Tell you what NLUK - you could start an argument in a phone box mun :-)
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

That's easy. Have seen many a person lose it in a phone box

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Seriously, I'm always puzzled why so many people in hurricane prone areas like Florida persist in building houses out of wood and cardboard, especially when they also have termites to contend with.

I mean surely houses built of bricks or stone, or just reinforced concrete (which needn't imply bunker-like thickness) would make far more sense, especially if built on stilts in effect so cars could be parked in basement garages and the house would be unharmed by the occasional flood.
              It probably have something to do with the fact that although a brick/concrete building shell is likely to survive such storms the interior will be trashed by the rain and storm surge. It will also likely require inspection of the foundations and structure before you can safely move back in. If something is found to be wrong them you are screwed. In contrast the popular cardboard houses are simply wiped out leaving you a nice flat piece of land to rebuild on using the insurance money. Consider it as enforced re-decoration every now and then.

Comment

When there is an idiot involved the odds are in my favour.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  When there is an idiot involved the odds are in my favour.
                  Especially as he'll be phoning you in the phone box, to tell you about some worrying new trend he is experiencing in his inane life.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    That's easy. Have seen many a person lose it in a phone box
                    PC prefers more amorous activities in a phone box....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                      PC prefers more amorous activities in a phone box....
                      Sheep have standards.

Comment

Working...
                      X