• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone here suffered a concussion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    yep, there's ALWAYS one! - FFS
    Exactly.

Comment

I don't mind waiting it out if that's what I need to do - I just wondered if anyone else had suffered anything similar had suggestions for what helped / didn't help, anything that set people back, how they found work, etc.

I've read a fair bit on the topic and gone to get my eyes tested (found I need glasses for short distance work, unsurprising) and also have a physio appointment so they can assess my neck for whiplash. I'm trying to do everything I can without wasting NHS time; if it's just a case of waiting it out then so be it.

Comment

You should have gone to A&E when you had it.

Then if you still have issues like the others say go to your GP.

If you aren't happy what your GP says and faint and vomit or get dizzy and vomit, then go straight to A&E.

You don't need an ambulance you just need someone to take you.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I can't remember
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

We've got an esteemed customer who's apparently got ongoing symptoms from concussion.

I've had concussion myself which is why I've wasted years of my life posting tulipe on this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
              I play Ice Hockey as my recreational sport of choice. Three months ago I suffered a fairly serious blow to the head which in turn, left me with a concussion. I always thought of concussions as relatively minor injuries which take a couple of weeks to heal and you're good to go. Of course I'd heard of sports pro's that had suffered them, but the speed / ferocity of the impact would probably be far worse which was why they ended up on the bench for longer.

However, this damn injury just will not get better... I feel like I am in a relatively constant "fog" if that makes sense, finding it hard to concentrate. Lifting any light weights at the gym just results in a headache at best, dizziness and nausea combined with a headache at worst. Similar although not as bad if I go for a swim... I've not even attempted non-contact hockey practice yet...

Has anyone else who has suffered from this got any pearls of wisdom?
              My daughter had a ski accident a few years ago and knocked her head quite badly. She exhibited confusion and so was kept in intensive care for 24 hours, then released. She was told to rest her brain. No school, no TV and no reading for 3 weeks. Audio books and radio were ok. She also told to not do anything for six months that might risk another bash on the noggin. It takes time to recover, and nothing but rest will aid that. She still gets headaches when she concentrates for too long on anything.

You could ask for a second opinion. You could pay for private treatment. If I could afford it, with your symptoms, I'd take the latter.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                My daughter had a ski accident a few years ago and knocked her head quite badly. She exhibited confusion and so was kept in intensive care for 24 hours, then released. She was told to rest her brain. No school, no TV and no reading for 3 weeks. Audio books and radio were ok. She also told to not do anything for six months that might risk another bash on the noggin. It takes time to recover, and nothing but rest will aid that. She still gets headaches when she concentrates for too long on anything.

You could ask for a second opinion. You could pay for private treatment. If I could afford it, with your symptoms, I'd take the latter.
                You definitely weren't in the UK.

In the UK depending how many beds they have they just stick you in a bed or chair in A&E. If you have someone at home they can allow you to go home before the 24 hours is up and that person has to keep waking you up....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  If you have someone at home they can allow you to go home before the 24 hours is up and that person has to keep waking you up....
                  Guess what happened to me

I can remember bits, like lying on the trolley in A&E & blowing into the breathalyser for the nice policeman.

After that it's all a bit blurry.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
                    Guess what happened to me

I can remember bits, like lying on the trolley in A&E & blowing into the breathalyser for the nice policeman.

After that it's all a bit blurry.
                    That wasn't a breathalyser,.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      She also told to not do anything for six months that might risk another bash on the noggin. It takes time to recover, and nothing but rest will aid that.

She still gets headaches when she concentrates for too long on anything.

Sorry to hear about your daughters accident. Given that she was skiing, I dare say there was quite an amount of speed involved? I don't recall the accident involving all that much pace, just distinctly remember the thud of my helmet hitting the ice!

Not good to hear that she's still having issues concentrating.. Did she have any other treatment apart from rest? Any particular drugs she took for the headaches? I think I may well go and get a second opinion or "have another accident" and go see if they check me out in A and E properly... I should've gone in the first place, but it was 2am in the morning by the time our game had finished and i'd got home.

Comment

Working...
                      X