• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone here suffered a concussion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got punched very hard in the head in my last martial arts grading - went to an NHS drop in centre where they stuck me in a room and forgot about me until it was chucking out time.

Went home and had planned curry anyway. Managed to dislodge a bit of stubborn earwax though - which was nice...
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      I got punched very hard in the head in my last martial arts grading - went to an NHS drop in centre where they stuck me in a room and forgot about me until it was chucking out time.
      No you were "under observation" as they call it.

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      Went home and had planned curry anyway. Managed to dislodge a bit of stubborn earwax though - which was nice...
      TMI
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        so exhibit (or rather, report) the shaky leg thing, say it's getting worse, and ask for a scan.
        Yeah, this is what I'd do, or pay for an MRI. It's too important to leave. What if you have a bloodclot or something nasty?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Yeah, this is what I'd do, or pay for an MRI. It's too important to leave. What if you have a bloodclot or something nasty?
          I would pay for the MRI. If you are waiting on the NHS you could wait for months.

OP ask your team, the coaches and physios were you can get an MRI done as someone will know a place that doesn't cost the earth.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
            I play Ice Hockey as my recreational sport of choice. Three months ago I suffered a fairly serious blow to the head which in turn, left me with a concussion. I always thought of concussions as relatively minor injuries which take a couple of weeks to heal and you're good to go. Of course I'd heard of sports pro's that had suffered them, but the speed / ferocity of the impact would probably be far worse which was why they ended up on the bench for longer.

However, this damn injury just will not get better... I feel like I am in a relatively constant "fog" if that makes sense, finding it hard to concentrate. Lifting any light weights at the gym just results in a headache at best, dizziness and nausea combined with a headache at worst. Similar although not as bad if I go for a swim... I've not even attempted non-contact hockey practice yet...

Has anyone else who has suffered from this got any pearls of wisdom?
            Had a mate had exactly the same. Dead in six months. Bus hit him.

Comment

Concussion has been receiving a lot of focus in sports recently, and treated much more seriously than in my playing days. As a youth coach we receive annual updates on concussion protocols and what to look out for. Have a look at the Sport Scotland guidelines. Note as part of the graduated return to play protocol, if you start experiencing symptoms again then you go back to the previous stage.

https://sportscotland.org.uk/media-i...n-guidance.pdf

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Hughes
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Has anyone else who has suffered from this got any pearls of wisdom?
                  Tell your mum to say 'No' next time....

Comment

Sorry to hear about your daughters accident. Given that she was skiing, I dare say there was quite an amount of speed involved? I don't recall the accident involving all that much pace, just distinctly remember the thud of my helmet hitting the ice!

Not good to hear that she's still having issues concentrating.. Did she have any other treatment apart from rest? Any particular drugs she took for the headaches?
                    She was going fairly fast, then hit a small up-slope, and wiped out. She was wearing a ski helmet. No drugs, no other treatment. The issues concentrating are very minor - she's in the middle of her degree course at the moment and it hasn't really caused her problems. Just every now and then she has to take a break.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I have had several concussions. One involved being hit across the head with a quarterstaff which caused me to black out 3 times on the way to the pub and then sit there staring at the table for an hour or so before going home. Once, when I was fighting the European kickboxing champion ... but not for the title, he hit me with a back fist which caused me to see flashing lights and then lay on the floor out cold for a while. I insisted I could carry on fighting and proceeded to fall off the bench which weakened my case a little. I took an axe to the head once which rung my bell and probably had a few others similar incidents.

At no point I have suffered symptoms weeks later. If I were you I would get yourself checked ASAP.
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X