• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anyone here suffered a concussion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I have had several concussions. One involved being hit across the head with a quarterstaff which caused me to black out 3 times on the way to the pub and then sit there staring at the table for an hour or so before going home. Once, when I was fighting the European kickboxing champion ... but not for the title, he hit me with a back fist which caused me to see flashing lights and then lay on the floor out cold for a while. I insisted I could carry on fighting and proceeded to fall off the bench which weakened my case a little. I took an axe to the head once which rung my bell and probably had a few others similar incidents.

At no point I have suffered symptoms weeks later. If I were you I would get yourself checked ASAP.
    Jesus - sounds like you've been very, very lucky! Interestingly a lot of the research I've done with Ice Hockey and American Football related concussions seem to point at the longer term effects being caused not necessarily by the head trauma, but the strain placed on the neck (i.e. whiplash) in most cases.

I do think from what you've said I need to take this more seriously and get looked at though.. thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
      Jesus - sounds like you've been very, very lucky! Interestingly a lot of the research I've done with Ice Hockey and American Football related concussions seem to point at the longer term effects being caused not necessarily by the head trauma, but the strain placed on the neck (i.e. whiplash) in most cases.
      !
      Not so sure about that statement.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/25/he...udy/index.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        NLUK sorry I should've clarified; the blogs / articles I have read had athletes which mostly suffered from one large event rather than multiple head traumas as they do in the NFL - I think the difference is NFL'ers lead with the head when tackling, which is why they get so badly messed up? Pretty sure Will Smith was in the film "Concussion" which was based around concussion in the NFL.

EDIT: How factual that film is I have no idea.

Comment

NLUK sorry I should've clarified; the blogs / articles I have read had athletes which mostly suffered from one large event rather than multiple head traumas as they do in the NFL - I think the difference is NFL'ers lead with the head when tackling, which is why they get so badly messed up? Pretty sure Will Smith was in the film "Concussion" which was based around concussion in the NFL.

EDIT: How factual that film is I have no idea.
          Rather than watch films and worry get it checked out even if you have to pay privately.

Remember you only live once.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I play Ice Hockey as my recreational sport of choice. Three months ago I suffered a fairly serious blow to the head which in turn, left me with a concussion. I always thought of concussions as relatively minor injuries which take a couple of weeks to heal and you're good to go. Of course I'd heard of sports pro's that had suffered them, but the speed / ferocity of the impact would probably be far worse which was why they ended up on the bench for longer.

However, this damn injury just will not get better... I feel like I am in a relatively constant "fog" if that makes sense, finding it hard to concentrate. Lifting any light weights at the gym just results in a headache at best, dizziness and nausea combined with a headache at worst. Similar although not as bad if I go for a swim... I've not even attempted non-contact hockey practice yet...

Has anyone else who has suffered from this got any pearls of wisdom?
            I had a big crash in 2014 (available for all to see on YouTube). Hit a wall head on at about 130mph. Got concussion which lasted a week or so, and since suffer from something called Benign Positional Vestibular Vertigo. No cure, some exercises you can do (called Epsley Manoeuvre) which help a bit.

As others have said, pay for a scan. I go to a place called Preventicum in London. Very good.

Hope things get better for you- I do sympathise
            P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
              I had a big crash in 2014 (available for all to see on YouTube). Hit a wall head on at about 130mph. Got concussion which lasted a week or so, and since suffer from something called Benign Positional Vestibular Vertigo. No cure, some exercises you can do (called Epsley Manoeuvre) which help a bit.

As others have said, pay for a scan. I go to a place called Preventicum in London. Very good.

Hope things get better for you- I do sympathise
              Well provide the link then.......

Glad you are ok though.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Well provide the link then.......

Glad you are ok though.
                Still pains me to watch. Am sure the 37000 other viewers enjoyed it though....... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBaB39jKwdA
                P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simondolan View Post
                  Still pains me to watch. Am sure the 37000 other viewers enjoyed it though....... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBaB39jKwdA
                  37001 now!

Nasty....

Comment

JESUS! That's one enormous crash.... Glad to hear you're not so bad now and at least have a couple of relief techniques... I will follow everyones advice and go have myself looked at.

Comment

I had concussion aged 11. I was in the scouts - there was a game where there was a rope with taped up roll of newspaper swung around with everyone in a circle. The idea was to jump - apparantly I stumbled and was wiped out landing onto the floor with my head. Woke up in childrens ward for breakfast with no idea where I was or how I got there!

Comment

Working...
                      X