• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The U.K.'s Economic Outlook Is Getting Rosier

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    If anyone on CUK does anything exciting, like swap sides or has an original thought, just let me know.
    I was pro Brexit but swapped sides about two years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      Yeh - things looked good under Gordon Brown's chancellorship.

Then all of sudden they didn't.

For the whole of this millennium, this country has been living off unsustainable debt of various kinds. All we're seeing is people piling up card/unsecured loans and spend-spend-spending. Interest rates will boost the pound until the merde hits the fan as mortgage rates rise.

When will the next crash be? Who knows?
      Its been going on since the 1970s. However debt can keep expanding indifinetly. Like the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        If you swap back again. Both regarding Brexit and gender .

Comment

It's all coming out now!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            This message is hidden because BrilloPad is on your ignore list.

Comment

It's all coming out now!
              I've always been sympathetic to Tony Benn's view:

In Britain you vote for the government and therefore the government has to listen to you, and if you don’t like it you can change it. But in Europe all the key positions are appointed, not elected – the Commission, for example. All appointed, not one of them elected.
              So in theory I can see the attraction of Brexit. The weakness with that argument is that Benn had a rather naive (IMO) faith in British parliamentary democracy, forgetting that it is subverted by ruling class ownership of the press.

And I also changed my mind because leaving the EU was clearly - to anyone with an ounce of intelligence - going to be an economic car crash, so pragmatism seemed a better course of action. I must admit that I did underestimate quite how much the UK government would screw it up. It brings to mind Captain Blackadder:

Well, you've come to the right place, Bob. A war hasn't been fought this badly since Olaf the Hairy, high chief of all the vikings, accidentally ordered 80,000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside.

Comment

I must admit that I did underestimate quite how much the UK government would screw it up. It brings to mind Captain Blackadder
                It's getting interesting with Bozo's article in the Telegraph.
                Out-and-out subversion of May.
                The implosion of the Tory party that I long predicted has started.
                Be interesting to see what she says in her Florence speech: face brutal reality and compromise or succumb to the Tory hard Brexit bovver boys.
                My guess is Tory party unity will come above country.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Be interesting to see what she says in her Florence speech: face brutal reality and compromise or succumb to the Tory hard Brexit bovver boys.
                  Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Bend over, Britain. Nanny knows best.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You couldn't let me know who is to win the 14:45 at Chepstow?

Comment

You couldn't let me know who is to win the 14:45 at Chepstow?
                      Diamond Dougal.

Comment

Working...
                      X