• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS and HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHS and HMRC

Been in A&E all night with a sick family member. At every reception there are signs declaring 3 to 4 hour waits due to staff shortages. It took 5 hours to get a simple X-ray done. A&E was full on a Monday night.

It's noticeable that there are at present no NHS are over budget type of stories running in the press right now, I think once the winter crisis hits, the NHS are going to pour tulip all over HMRC and Hammond about IR35 and way its been implemented. - Deservedly so in my opinion.

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy View Post
    Been in A&E all night with a sick family member. At every reception there are signs declaring 3 to 4 hour waits due to staff shortages. It took 5 hours to get a simple X-ray done. A&E was full on a Monday night.

It's noticeable that there are at present no NHS are over budget type of stories running in the press right now, I think once the winter crisis hits, the NHS are going to pour tulip all over HMRC and Hammond about IR35 and way its been implemented. - Deservedly so in my opinion.
    Do you believe the NHS funding problem is due to IR35 and contractors?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      Do you believe the NHS funding problem is due to IR35 and contractors?
      He's not talking about a funding issue more a staffing issue. If you are waiting hours for an X-ray that's because there are no staff to do the X-rays
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        He's not talking about a funding issue more a staffing issue. If you are waiting hours for an X-ray that's because there are no staff to do the X-rays
        Aaah my bad. Robots will be doing it soon no doubt...
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

There is definitely a staffing issue, whether it's due to IR35 or not I can't comment.

mrs.sal is 32 weeks pregnant with no.2, we had a bit of a scare about 2 weeks ago (all was good at the end), called the midwife and were advised to immediately go to the delivery suite in the hospital (which is fortunately 10min drive from our place). Asked a friendly neighbor to come over and watch over No.1 that was sleeping already and drove off. Got there around 22:00 there was a flock of nurses/midwives chattering near the reception area, we explained what was the issue. mrs.sal was as asked to provide an urine sample and sit in the waiting area until called. There was only 1 other woman there so we hopeful it won't take long....

2 hours later after we inquired what is taking too long, we were told they (4-5 nurses/midwives) are waiting for the single doctor on duty to become available (turned out he was called in the neighboring ward that had 0 doctors and 4/5 nurses/midwives on duty). At which point I left the missus there and drove back home to releave the neighbor as it was midnight already. She only came back around 2:30AM

4h+ wait because someone decided it's acceptable to have a single doctor but 10 nurses on duty at that moment.

Comment

There is a doctor shortage due to us not training enough as the government wants to save money, doctors leaving either the profession or the UK, and EU doctors not coming here due to uncertainties due to Brexit.

All these problems are due to government policy.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

NHS will blame the government.

I wonder what Nye Bevin thinks?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                There is a doctor shortage due to us not training enough as the government wants to save money, doctors leaving either the profession or the UK, and EU doctors not coming here due to uncertainties due to Brexit.

And doctors not being paid enough.

Isn't it also to do with the number of female doctors who go part-time when the nippers arrive, but I'm not sure we're allowed to mention that?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

This year for the first time there will medical places in clearing! Who wants to have £100k of debt?

Actually the £100k is just for student doctor alcohol and STD tests. Its probably another £100k on tuition and living expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    And doctors not being paid enough.

Isn't it also to do with the number of female doctors who go part-time when the nippers arrive, but I'm not sure we're allowed to mention that?
                    It's not just the female doctors, I'm pretty sure my practice only has one full time doc.

Also, for some reason the practice is split into two. So you have a reception desk with duplication of staff. Nuts

Comment

Working...
                    X